adding a 32gb sd card...thenGeneral

1. billdarnell

billdarnell Member

I'm adding a 32gb sd card to our phones (Galy S4) and want to make sure that all pics, videos, and such go there. I'm guessing this allows the device to use it's ram for phone functions and should run more efficiently because of it.
    Is this the right thought-pattern?
    What are best settings for adding memory?

Advertisement
    :
  2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what kind of settings you are looking for, but you just power the phone down, open the back, insert the SD card, close everything back up and power up. The phone at that point will recognize the SD card and use it when requested. When you start the camera app after installing the SD card (at least on my phone) the app asks if you want to store media on the card. As for anything else, you can go to app manager and individually move some apps to SD, but the phone takes care of those settings.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Not really no.

There is memory used for storage (i.e. apps, music, data etc.) and memory used to run programs. Increasing the amount of storage by adding a micro SD card is a useful thing to do but it won't have any impact whatever on the amount of memory used to run programs and consequently will not speed up your phone at all.

That's not to say it's not a useful thing to do but don't expect your phone to run any faster because of it. It might even be slightly slower if you buy a slow card as it will takes apps longer to load data from the card.
  4. billdarnell

billdarnell Member

tks lotus 49 and BigRedGonzo

Not really thinking that the phone would run faster with it.
    Just wanting to make sure I did what was necessary to make it run as well as it can with the new card.

tks again
  5. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Your best bet to make sure the phone runs the best it can with an SD car is to buy a high end card. They are a little more expensive, but with the higher read/write speeds you won't even notice that the card is there. It is really nice to know that you have room to take photos if you want. I would suggest that you buy a Class 10 card and I would recommend shying away from SanDisk. There are known issues with some of the SanDisk cards out there on the streets. I went through issues with a 32GB and then a 64GB Sandisk card and finally went with a Samsung Pro Class 10 64GB card and all of the issues went away.

Anyway, good luck with you purchase and new cards.