Adding a new phone number to an existing contact?Support

1. HippoMan

HippoMan Well-Known Member

I initially created my Contracts on my G1 by exporting them to Google from my old Blackberry, and then by synching them from there to my G1. Now, I want to add another phone number to an existing Contact, and I can't figure out how to do it on the G1.

I can invoke Edit -> Edit contact, but I can't find any option to add another phone number. All I seem to be able to do is change or delete the existing numbers that are already associated with that contact.

I suppose I can edit the contacts in Gmail and sync them again, but I don't want to do this via sync, if at all possible. My contacts are private and I don't want them resident on a public service like Gmail (after I used Gmail to initialize the contacts on my G1, I deleted them from there).

I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way to add a new phone number to an existing contact, so I must be missing something obvious, although I have searched the user guide and various places on the net (including here), and I couldn't find any description of how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might be able to give me.
    .​

Advertisement
    :
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Edit the contact then press the Menu Key | More info | Select the label type you want to add phone, email,im, post addy, etc ... Assuming Phone then select the appropriate label that will add a new item to the contact sheet where you can add the new info ...
  3. HippoMan

HippoMan Well-Known Member

Aha!

The part that confused me was that I have to select the label before adding the number. I incorrectly assumed that the label selection had to do only with existing numbers.

Thank you very much! :)
    .​
  4. akadir

akadir New Member

I have the HTC Hero (G2), and am using it on Vodafone. I've imported all my contacts from my n95 8gb into my new Hero phone.

My problem is this:

When I try to edit the contact, it doesn't let me add multiple MOBILE numbers, but allows me to add Work, Home, Pager labels! The Mobile label simply doesn't come up in the list of options when adding a new number.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?
  5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

add the number, wait five minutes, go to any PC/Mac, log into your gmail account and switch the label in the contacts section.
  6. akadir

akadir New Member

Worked brilliantly, thanks!