1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding android to VoiP PBX system

Last Updated:

1. rhi

rhi Member This Topic's Starter

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to intergrate my androiphone into my office VoiP PBX?

We recently put our whole telephone exchange onto VoiP, and there are quite a few apps, such as FriendFinder, which allow you to make free calls to other users with the app. What I want to know is can I get may android to be part of my office VoiP exchange? At the moment I can call my colleagues (as they all have androids) from my PC using FriendFinder but can't get them into the office system.

Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

You need to talk to the phone techs who set this up for you as it really depends on the PBX and how it's set up.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb Member

Depends on how its setup. If its a sip based system there are several clients out that could be used.

That said your IT staff may well not want to do that, a security hole in a pbx can be a quick way to a huge long distance phone bill.

4. rhi

It's a web based PBX, so we don't actually have any hardware so to speak, it's all managed online. FriendFinder is working well, and when I call my mobile from the pc it comes up with the number assosiated with the VoiP line so it must be using that automatically to dial out.

I don't suppose it makes much of a difference whether it is technically on the system because I can set up the VoiP extensions to divert to mobiles, would just be a lot simlper if there were officially in the system.

I'm not sure if it's SIP, until recently I was told that SIP and VoiP were the same, but have realised there a little different when you get down to it.

5. rhi

It was myself and my resident geek (IT man) who set the system up. However, that meant buying some very cheap VoiP phones and messing about with them until they worked!

6. Soybomb

Soybomb Member

Sip is one protocol that is used for voip. Its probably a safe bet your setup is using sip from what you've said. sipdroid and 3cx are both sip clients that seem to work well. Log into the management interface for your pbx and add a new extension and password (and be sure you're using good secure passwords). Put the login info and server address into the program you picked and you should be good to go provided there are no firewall issues.

Alter ring groups and such accordingly if you want your softphone and desk phone to ring at the same time.

rhi likes this.
  7. rhi

Will have to try that one with my IT man I think! I understand what you're saying but gonna get him to put it into action. Thanks for the advise though!