• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adding GMail account to a phone with an existing Google Apps account

Navychief52

Jul 24, 2010
A little assistance please.

Droid X - Configured with a Google Apps Premiere, working great.
Attempting to add a personal GMail account.

Go to the GMail app, select add account, fill in the metrics and then......

"Needs to communicate" message for ~ 3 minutes, then bombs out with - "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server".

3G is fine, on a wifi connection that is fine, web browser works fine..... Google Apps account works fine.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, and kind regards.

A little assistance please.

Droid X - Configured with a Google Apps Premiere, working great.
Attempting to add a personal GMail account.

Go to the GMail app, select add account, fill in the metrics and then......

"Needs to communicate" message for ~ 3 minutes, then bombs out with - "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server".

3G is fine, on a wifi connection that is fine, web browser works fine..... Google Apps account works fine.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, and kind regards.

I've had exactly the same problem, and I've seen dozens of reports of the issue as well.

The only solution that ever seems to work is to factory reset and start from scratch.

Upvote 0
I did factory reset and started from scratch and still can't set up my Gmail account, I am totally out of Android Market and can't use any applications.
When I start to add my existing Gmail account, get an error as below:
Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server, this could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisional for data services.
Any idea?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones