• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adding new alert tones

I would like to add the 'Droid' ringtone as an alert tone for text msgs. I found a way to add it as a ring tone but not an alert. I hooked the Inc to my pc but couldn't find a folder that stored the ring tones or alerts. Any suggestions?:D

i am sure it is posted somewhere...please look next time

create a few folders.

Media>audio>alarms,notifications,ringtones

please song/tone in each folder for desired result.

Upvote 0
I looked in that folder and the only thing in there is a Facebook tone. The others that are loaded on the phone are clearly not. Hence, the reason for this post. I wasn't sure if I could add it in there w/o screwing it up. I did search the forum and found nothing and started the thread. Please don't assume I didn't look. That wasn't the case. Moreover, these types of things should be outlined in the 200+ page manual and are not. After all, that's the purpose of these forums...to get help if you don't find it.

Upvote 0
The on device sounds are located in {root}/system/media/audio then the individual folders. Not sure they are writable until root access has been granted... but the best thing to do is put them on the SD card anyway, then you know your "custom" sounds are always with you when you change devices.

Newbe question, but how do I move them to my SD card and have the phone know where to look for them?

Upvote 0
I downloaded Ringdroid from the Market. It allows you to make custom ringtones, alarms, and notifications from mp3s (and other sound files). It can store them in the media file on your SD card. I used Astro File Manager (downloaded from the market) to find where it stored the ringtones, alarms and notifications. They are on my SD card under media, audio, alarms notifications ringtone files. Astro says File/mnt/sdcard/media/audio. I took some screen captures to show you. But when I tried to upload them, it said can not resize picture. I will work on it.

Attachments

• Alarms.png
    Alarms.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Notifications.png
    Notifications.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Ringtones.png
    Ringtones.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
Newbe question, but how do I move them to my SD card and have the phone know where to look for them?

jhinck1414 described this but was a little cryptic in the description.

For alert tones make a folder called "Alerts" on your SD card and put them there.
For ringtones, make a folder called "Ringtones" and put the ringtones in there.
For notifications make a folder call "Notifications"......
If you want, you can put these folders into a folder called media or sounds or whatever you want to call it.

Android OS know to look in those folders for the appropriate files.

Reactions: mcvankirk
Upvote 0
jhinck1414 described this but was a little cryptic in the description.

For alert tones make a folder called "Alerts" on your SD card and put them there.
For ringtones, make a folder called "Ringtones" and put the ringtones in there.
For notifications make a folder call "Notifications"......
If you want, you can put these folders into a folder called media or sounds or whatever you want to call it.

Android OS know to look in those folders for the appropriate files.
Mine's not doing that- I've made the folders, put mp3's in them, and the Dx is not finding them. Any ideas? Is there a certain file type they need to be?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones