1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Adding new alert tonesSupport

1. Colossus

Colossus New Member

I would like to add the 'Droid' ringtone as an alert tone for text msgs. I found a way to add it as a ring tone but not an alert. I hooked the Inc to my pc but couldn't find a folder that stored the ring tones or alerts. Any suggestions?:D

Advertisement
  2. jhinck1414

jhinck1414 Member

i am sure it is posted somewhere...please look next time

create a few folders.

Media>audio>alarms,notifications,ringtones

please song/tone in each folder for desired result.
  3. Colossus

Colossus New Member

I looked in that folder and the only thing in there is a Facebook tone. The others that are loaded on the phone are clearly not. Hence, the reason for this post. I wasn't sure if I could add it in there w/o screwing it up. I did search the forum and found nothing and started the thread. Please don't assume I didn't look. That wasn't the case. Moreover, these types of things should be outlined in the 200+ page manual and are not. After all, that's the purpose of these forums...to get help if you don't find it.
  4. IamReady

IamReady Well-Known Member

The on device sounds are located in {root}/system/media/audio then the individual folders. Not sure they are writable until root access has been granted... but the best thing to do is put them on the SD card anyway, then you know your "custom" sounds are always with you when you change devices.
  5. cjskach

cjskach Member

Newbe question, but how do I move them to my SD card and have the phone know where to look for them?
  6. BadMedicine

BadMedicine Active Member

I downloaded Ringdroid from the Market. It allows you to make custom ringtones, alarms, and notifications from mp3s (and other sound files). It can store them in the media file on your SD card. I used Astro File Manager (downloaded from the market) to find where it stored the ringtones, alarms and notifications. They are on my SD card under media, audio, alarms notifications ringtone files. Astro says File/mnt/sdcard/media/audio. I took some screen captures to show you. But when I tried to upload them, it said can not resize picture. I will work on it.

Attached Files:

7. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member

jhinck1414 described this but was a little cryptic in the description.

For alert tones make a folder called "Alerts" on your SD card and put them there.
    For ringtones, make a folder called "Ringtones" and put the ringtones in there.
    For notifications make a folder call "Notifications"......
    If you want, you can put these folders into a folder called media or sounds or whatever you want to call it.

Android OS know to look in those folders for the appropriate files.
    mcvankirk likes this.
  8. BadMedicine

BadMedicine Active Member

I added the screen captures. I hope this helps.
  9. keithpilot

keithpilot New Member

Mine's not doing that- I've made the folders, put mp3's in them, and the Dx is not finding them. Any ideas? Is there a certain file type they need to be?