adding notification soundsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. wahm2

wahm2 New Member

I'd like to add some notification sounds to my Galaxy S. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this if it is even possible. Has anyone done this? If so, I'd love to know how you do it. I downloaded an sms alert but there is no option to set it as a notification. I can set it as a ringtone but not a notification.
    TIA.

Advertisement
  2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. You should try this steps >>
    Enjoy the forum. Happy Holidays. ;)
  3. wahm2

wahm2 New Member

Thank you but unfortunately, there is no settings in the menu under messaging. There is also no media folder under the My Files app. I have a music folder but I can't remember if I added that or if it was there already. This is really frustrating! :eek:
  4. Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed Well-Known Member

Use Ringdroid from Android Market.
  5. wahm2

wahm2 New Member

I take it back. I found the settings menu. However, still no media folder in the "My Files" app. Could it be called something else? At the top of the screen, it says /mmt/sdcard. Could that make a difference? Is that saying I'm looking on the SDcard rather than the internal memory?

Ijaz Ahmed,
    I'll check into that. Thanks.
  6. Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed Well-Known Member

Anything you put in this folder does not appear in the Notification Ring Tones List. The actual folder to copy your own Notification Tones is:

/system/media/audio/notifications

which unfortunately is not visible through a normal file explorer like "My Files". It requires a root explorer type file manager which in turn requires a rooted phone.

The simplest solution is to use "Ringdroid" App
  7. wahm2

wahm2 New Member

I downloaded it and it worked! Thanks a ton!! :D
  8. DocTee

DocTee Member

For those who don't want to download apps:

Go to: Applications > My Files

The Folder structure on the top should be [/mnt/sdcard]

Look for a folder called "Media" (without the quotes).
    If you don't have that folder, create it (Menu key > Create Folder > type in "Media" without the quotes).
    In the [Media] folder, select Audio (or create this folder if not present).
    In the [Audio] folder, copy your tones/sounds to the appropriate folder:
    Alarms
    Ringtones
    UI
    Notifications
    If you don't have the folders above, create it in the Audio folder (Menu key > Create Folder)

Folder structure:
    /mnt/sdcard/Media/Audio/[Alarms][Ringtones][UI][Notifications]

After creating each folder, your SGS will re-scan for media files (you'll see this message in the notification bar at the top of your phone).

Hope this helps.
    Matt31, x1777x and JasonLudlow like this.
  9. x1777x

x1777x New Member

Thanks it worked on my phone.
    LG Optimus net Dual Sim.
    a ton of thanks to you! ^_^
  10. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Well-Known Member

Just to simplify things, you don't need to create a Media folder. All you need to do is create a Notifications folder in the main file structure and add your notification tones there. Likewise, do the same for custom ringtones by creating a Ringtones folder.

To recap; Open "My files" > Tap Menu > Create Folder type the name of the folder (Notifications) > Add your custom tone > Job done.

Ray
  11. locutus555

locutus555 New Member

Thanks DocTee, this works great, so easy, but you have to known the sequence. Enjoy having my notifications done the way I want them. Just changed to Droid from Windows Phone, love the Droid.

Jim

12. jickjack

jickjack New Member

Thanks rayhipkis, this worked great on my ZTE Blade 3 (running ICS) - but it is now called 'File Manager' and to add a new folder you need to you need to click on the 3 squares in the top right hand corner and then select 'New directory'.