1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Adding or Deleting Home screensSupport

1. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

How do you in ICS add or delete home screens on the GNex?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

You can't without a launcher replacement. It's fixed at 5 homescreens.
  3. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

Google seems to think its neat to have fixed # of home screens instead of dynamically creating them as the user needs them. Basically every launcher from the User created to Manufactures add this but Google doesn't.

One of my pet peeves.
    slbailey1 likes this.
  4. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

I'm wondering; if you replace the stock launcher, how would you add widgets if the launcher hasn't been updated/optimized for ICS? Because the stock launcher has the widgets in the app tray and you can't access them just by long pressing on the background anymore.
  5. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

These and other reasons make me like ICS less and less and my SG2 more and more.
  6. KapOne

KapOne New Member

I find this more than rediculous. I have an asus tf101 running ICS and the fact that I can't change my homescreens/desktops is extreamly frustrating. I can understand them keeping the "max" limit at 5 but why not let you take any away? Heck, I don't even want to take any away. I just want to rearrange them! The problem is I have NO room on my desktops anymore so can't "rearrange". I have the entire right-most desktop (5) full of shortcuts (for games) and want to move them to the left-most (1, which is apps) to make things a little more "logically" organized (2 is all games as well) and I am hating the fact that I will have to delete everything from the left one and one by one move every shortcut from the right one to the left, then add the ones I deleted from the left to the right again. Simply rediculous... smh. Very poor testing I would say. Anyone who played with the OS long enough would see the problem in not being able to rearrange them at the least.
  7. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

Select a homescreen, delete one shortcut and replace it with a folder. Put all of the icons from that homescreen into the folder. Do the same with your other homescreen to be moved.

Once you have your homescreens packed and ready to move, relocate the folders to their new homescreen and reverse the process.

Sounds easier than recreating all of your shortcuts.
  8. ALIHISGREAT

ALIHISGREAT Well-Known Member

If you don't have root access, you bring up a list of Widgets either via the app drawer or via long press on he screen which gives you the option to add shortcut, app, widget etc. And for widgets you get a list with no preview.

If you have root access you can usually do it two ways:

Long press on screen as above

Normal way through app drawer with previews

I use Nova launcher but I assume its the same for most other ICS launchers.
  9. DannyJSlone

DannyJSlone Well-Known Member

I use nova launcher which is basically the ICS layout. It works just like the stock launcher except it has a few extra tweaks that I really enjoy. Like number of homepages and getting rid of the Google search bar at the top. Also apex launcher works the same as well and they both are basically just enhanced ICS launchers.
  10. pedro1977

pedro1977 Well-Known Member

I tried to add a widget to a page that wouldnt fit and it asked if i wanted to add anogher screen which it did. I cant remove it though

Edit: in ics just pinch your fingers together to edit your homescreens