• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Adding voice to application - need a starting point

knewbry

Lurker
Mar 28, 2013
Hello all and thanks in advance.

I am developing a spelling app to help elementary age kids with spelling words. The game will consist of a suite of games and activities including practice spelling tests. One of the integral features will be having voice files for the dictionary of words. My problem is I have no idea how to approach this and hope that someone else may have some ideas.

As I see it, I have a couple options. I can pay a voice actor to record an elementary school dictionary, then break out the individual words and save them to a library. While that would be one option, it would be very time consuming and I wonder if there are such dictionaries out there which can be purchased. Obviously they exist because there are lots of talking dictionaries. But I cannot find anyplace to purchase such a thing. If anyone has any suggestions I would be extremely appreciative!

Another option that seems like it might at least be technically feasible if not very practical would be to use some sort of screen reader software to read the spelling words. Screen readers exist, but this seems like a very tricky way of approaching the task and not very efficient.

If anyone has ANY experience or suggestions on a starting point I would be tremendously grateful!

Thanks,
Kenny

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones