Adding words to predictive list?


Last Updated:

  1. mkhopper

    mkhopper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    9
    I use the TouchPal onscreen keyboard and there doesn't seem to be a way to add new words to the prediction list.

    Now that the phone is rooted, I plan on really searching around, but before I do, maybe someone already has the answer.

    Is there a sqllite database file somewhere in the system that contains the list of words that we can just easily add to?
     

    Advertisement
  2. Carl C

    Carl C Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    6,062
    Likes Received:
    38
    Hopefully this is right :

    If you go to the task manager -> Long press on the Touch Input -> Select switch to -> It should then give you the option to add words.

    Please note I got this method by doing it on my HTC Magic {with Touch-input thanks to Cyanogen} & The task manager I was using was "Advanced task manager".

    Carl
     
  3. pking

    pking Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Messages:
    156
    Likes Received:
    0
    I also just discovered last night that when the predictor pops up, you can hit that little arrow icon to see 'all' predictions for your phrase, as well as an 'Add' button. This may be useful for adding words quickly on the fly, but I haven't tried it.

    Truly, I'm almost considering disabling it. 85% of the time it's spot on, the other 15% I end up texting 'Hey, how's that infection?' instead of 'Hey, how's it goin?'

    [edited for typos - apparently I need the feature more here than on my phone ;)]
     
  4. mkhopper

    mkhopper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    9
    Thanks, but those only work for the stock Touch Input method.

    I'm using Touch Pal for input and it doesn't seem to use the same prediction dictionary as Touch Input. I've added many words to TI, but TP doesn't recognize them.

    Edit... Reading on the Touch Pal forums, the original, free Android version of Touch Pal isn't function complete and has been pulled from the Market. It will be re-released soon as a pay version.


    Time to hack.... I figure the dictionary has to be somewhere in the sytem. :)
     
  5. pking

    pking Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Messages:
    156
    Likes Received:
    0
    My guess would be in /data/data/com.<domain.appname>/databases

    And it will likely be in an SQLITE3 format database.
     
  6. dcdttu

    dcdttu Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    36
    Slightly the reverse of the original thread, how do you DELETE words from the phone? I have a Hero with stock keyboard, and the thing remembers stuff I'd rather it no remember, so it doesn't select it next time instead of what it should have selected....

    Anyone know how to delete words?
     
  7. mkhopper

    mkhopper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    9

    Nailed it. :)

    The user defined word file for Touchpal is /data/data/com.cootek.touchpal/files/eng_usr.img

    And strangely enough it's just a plain ol' flat text file. Nothing special about it at all.

    At the root prompt, by using this command, I was able to add words to the list and the app recognized them with no problem.

    echo "word" >> eng_usr.img
    (no quotes around the actual word)
     

Share This Page

Loading...