• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Address book over bluetooth

Cougar

Android Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009
Lancashire, England
Just spotted another annoyance.

I've a snazzy bluetooth thang in my car. On my old phone (TyTN II) and work phone (Nokia somethingorother), when you pair the phone, it uploads the phonebook so that it's browseable from the car kit.

On the Sammy, all I see is a list of phone numbers, no names. Which is less than useful.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas for clever fixes I can try?

Well.

I'm a geek by trade (I maintain enterprise-level Windows servers mostly) and have some basic *nix under my belt. ADB is installed and I've rooted it via the HDblog.it recovery partition (though Pegasus21 was saying this roots the recovery partition rather than the phone itself? so I dunno) - I've not had much cause to test it yet.

However, I'm new to the Android and still feeling my way somewhat. It's a little out of my comfort zone still, I guess. (-:

So, yes, what I'm trying to say is, go for it. I'm happy to get my hands dirty, I'm just trying to get my head round it all.

Upvote 0
Ok so run a logcat to monitor whats going on:

adb logcat

Then in another window open a shell and su to root. Then you can use the following commands to test bluetooth and log traffic:

hciconfig -a # print BT chipset address and features. Useful to check if you can communicate with your BT chipset.
hcidump -XVt # print live HCI UART traffic.
hcitool scan # scan for local devices. Useful to check if RX/TX works.
l2ping ADDRESS # ping another BT device. Useful to check if RX/TX works.
sdptool records ADDRESS # request the SDP records of another BT device.

Upvote 0
When I pair it to my car - 2009 model - it shows the name but gives each phone number a separate entry.

Eg. Mike shows up 3 times because he has a mobile, phone, fax number.

Plus other info such as address etc doesnt get imported

My Nokia on the other hand does it properly - 1 entry with all the details stored under it.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it because I sync'd my contact details from Gmail instead of Outlook like I usually do (cant sync from Outlook as stupid NPS doesnt work)

Upvote 0
I added a new contact thru the phone - added mobile and phone - again it comes up twice on the screen - interesting both as mobile. I think the problem is Android or Samsung is using different contact field names which most devices dont understand. I came across this in NPS when I tried to sync with Outlook - under "Show field Limitation" it shows what is unsupported - quite a few fields are unsupported on the Outlook end apparently. Why wouldnt NPS just use the standard fields found in outlook!!! BIG let down!!! If I knew this before I wouldnt have bought this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones