Address book questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. zylian

zylian Member This Topic's Starter

I have read posts about the HTC Inc. address book and some of the features there in, but I have yet to find an answer to this, so I will just ask.

I am coming from a LG Voyager and expect to get my Incr. in 2 weeks (giddy with excitement, but hate the wait). I have searched the web high and low and in the downloadable user guide and can not find a simple list of what info you can add to the address book. With my Voyager I hate that I can not add a friend or family member's physical address unless I put in the email spot which has to be formatted like an email (ie. 12745@West_Hollister.drive or something like that)

Would like to know what the different fields are in the Incredible's address book and if you can create custom fields. At the least I am hoping for separate fields for all the following:
    phone number (at least 3 slots... cell, home, work)
    Fax
    Email (couple slots, again home and work email)
    mailing address and Physical Address (separate fields in case of PO Box)
    Birthday, anniversary
    Spouse or other family connections (that may also be in contact list)
    Website, Facebook, Twitter addresses

Well you get the idea... I have no clue what info the address book can store. Hoping to find out before it ships so I can kill some of the waiting time on formatting my contact list (currently set up on Excel so I can format according to what options the Incredible has to offer.)

Advertisement
  2. sheepforwheat

sheepforwheat Well-Known Member

The incredible's address book is in an app called People. I think it's an HTC app.

It will syncronize with your google contacts. So any info in google contacts can be stored on the phone. multiple phone numbers (although you can't mark which is home, work, mobile. only primary or not primary) mailing addresses, email addreses, birthdays, anniversaries. You can also link facebook, twitter and flickr accounts to each contact. There is also an empty text box called Notes, which you can use to store anything else.

3. DA8GizMo

DA8GizMo Member

It'll also link to any Exchange and GMail info you may have for that person.
    The clever thing is that the app works out which accounts to link..
    E.g.
    I had my brother in my normal, bog standard, phone addressbook.
    When I linked my phone to my facebook, gmail and exchange accounts the phone worked out that somebody with that same name existed in the other accounts too.
    So when I click on his name in my contact book there was a little '3' in a circle above the 'link' option
    When you click on that it gives you suggestions for all the other accounts.
    You just choose the accounts you wish to link for that person.

So before I just had his mobile number.
    now, just by linking it, I get loads of extra info..
    from Facebook - Birthday, recent updates, pictures & a link to his profile page
    from exchange - email address, work mobile and work phone numbers
    from gmail - another email address

it's really impressive!

Giz

4. Liz0311

Liz0311 Active Member

Sorry, my Google Contacts allow marking numbers as home/work/mobile, etc. Are you saying this doesn't carry across to the phone??

5. Jim Chapman

Jim Chapman Well-Known Member

This is dead wrong. The People app gives you the usual choice of labels for each phone number (work, mobile, home, fax, etc.).

6. zylian

zylian Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for the great and speedy responses!
    I have been signing up for various acounts to sync with after the phone arrives.
    Glad to hear that it combines multiple accounts easily. Just hoping it arrives before my vacation :)

7. steven119kim

steven119kim New Member

I'm trying to sync Outlook to my Eris (2.1) and the mailing address line in People gets truncated. Looks like it can't handle more than 25 character (you can easily use up all the character if you have 4 digit street number, a 2 word street and/or an apt number). Is anyone else having the same problem?

My old Blackberry didn't have a problem like this. Seems to be a very basic thing that Android can't do.

I sure wish Android developers can resolve issues with the most basic features before they run off developing new stuff.

8. ddwhatley

ddwhatley New Member

I've got the same issue on my EVO 4g with 2.2. 25 characters is the max. And I haven't been able to "trick" it either.
    -ddw

VTENGR and basiliks like this.
  9. basiliks

basiliks New Member

I have this same problem where my address field gets truncated. Most of my contact from palm have full address field until it was transferred to froyo 2.2
    Can anybody help?

VTENGR likes this.