Adfree android problem.

Last Updated:

1. Naz927

Naz927 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been trying to get this to work all night, I've done all the damn fixes i could find but still can't get this app to work for some reason, please can someone who has this working on an evo please tell me how they got it working?

Advertisement
  2. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

I rooted and then installed it from the market. Upon first use it asked for permission and I allowed it. Then from then on out when I open it I tell it to download updates.

3. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Try uninstalling it and starting over.
    Then install it from the market... Open it up and click download and install hosts... And that should be it. If anything restart your phone or something after to see if that helps..

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

it's really that simple

what exactly isn't working? it doesn't work on all adds....but does on about 95% of them

5. Naz927

Ill try to uninstall and then reinstall but the problem having is it will never dl the host file update, I always get an error message and sometimes after I get the error message my phone reboots! I'm runningtje latest version of warm.

6. Naz927

It always says, "failed to replace your hosts file"

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I have it on warm with no issues. are you having a network issue? It's not on their end I just updated my host file with no problems

8. Naz927

Network problem, I'm running on Wifi, don't think that would have anything to do with it though, you said you just updated yours with no problem? Were you on 3G, 4G or Wifi?

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

3g...I have been noticing a few of my recent apps that I have downloaded will NOT update/work on wifi..only on 3g...

try turning off wifi

10. Naz927

Mr. Ed likes this.
  11. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

Yeah I had this problem but I don't remember what I did. I think I uninstalled then reinstalled.

12. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I'm curious, is there a way to have AdFree leave certain apps alone? I am trying out Words With Friends so I can play with a few iPhone pals. Originally, it had a banner ad at the bottom of the main screen, but the game worked fine. I updated AdFree and now the home screen gets a big link placed over it and I can't do anything (presumably the ad that it is blocking). I reverted AdFree and it works fine now, but I'm sure that if I update AdFree again, WWF will be all but non-functional.

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I ended up completely removing adfree

it became too much of a hassle trying to keep up with it and the fixing the effects it had on 3g and 4g webpage loading

14. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I would completely remove Words With Friends before I remove AdFree. That app is awesome. I tried going without it for a little while, but the ads in the browser alone were too frustrating.

I was just hoping there was a way to make an exception for certain apps, but I don't really see any options with AdFree that would allow something like that.

15. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Adfree adds a list of known ad hosts to the hosts file, so that when you try to resolve any of those domain names, it points to your localhost instead of the actual IP address of that domain. It's a global change, and operates outside of apps.

16. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

hahaha...i actually did completely remove words with friends...it kept my phone in wake lock.

adfree gave me host issues... i don't fully understand them or what addfree is doing...but 4g would not load webpages no matter what I did with the host files.
    3g I could typically get web pages to load after doing the suggested addfree steps but 4g was always a no go.

17. Sim-X

Sim-X Well-Known Member

I actually came across this thread because my words with friends was jacked up from adfree. I was also hoping to add an exception but doesn't look like it's possible. I rooted last night finally & flashed a new rom. Wish I would have done it a long time ago.