Root AdFree unable to get root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by monsterenergy22, Feb 21, 2010.

1. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I am running BB 7.8 and I am unable to get AdFree to work properly. I recently just used the Nandroid backup that Pete had posted, but I still can't get it to work.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Radio Shack
    there have been issues with some of the latest Bugless Beast versions where apps were being denied root access. it's a problem with the rom. updating to the latest version should fix it according to what i have read.

3. monsterenergy22

Nov 19, 2009
    ok, thanks for the info! ill give it a shot

4. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Ok, cause I'm having this problem w/ Titanium Backup not being granted root access. I guess I'll have to update...again. lol.

5. monsterenergy22

Nov 19, 2009
    i just did a nandroid backup to 2.0.1 Bugless Beast V1.1 and it works just fine now :D

6. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    i will wait for something else to come along to nandroid, haven't used root often

7. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Androids
    Tara
    I didn't use AdFree or any other app, but I now have ads blocked on my phone in both the browser and apps (sorry app writers, I'm trying to speed up browsing). I understand that AdFree basically does the same thing I did, but I wanted to do this manually.

As always, you should make a Nandroid backup before doing something like this.

I got the hosts file from:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

(you need to rename the file from hosts.txt to just hosts and possibly run dos2unix on a Linux / BSD / whatever machine to convert from a DOS text file to a UNIX text file)

and copied it to /system/etc (I made a backup of the original hosts first), changed file permissions (chmod 644 hosts) to match the original and have not see an ad on my phone since.

I liked doing it this way because I can see exactly what's in the hosts file before I put it on the phone and modify it to include or exclude whatever I want.

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    conversely, you could use Ad-free, then copy the hosts file to your computer and verify what is in there and remove items you don't want / add items that you do.

In fact, the best possible scenario would probably be to merge the two files and then weed out the duplicates....