Adfree

1. ebc1973

ebc1973 Well-Known Member

What happened to Adfree? It is no longer in the Android Market. I have the app, and I am running version 0.8.44. Recently I have been receiving in-app notifications stating that this version is too old and must be updated. Since it is no longer in the Android Market, I have to find an APK somewhere. I have searched all around, and 0.8.44 is the most current version I can find. Is it simply gone forever? When I go to BigTinCan.com, I can find no mention of Adfree anywhere. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

4. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

I'll second the above responses. I used Ad Free a while back but I use AdAway now. Just make the switch and don't look back.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Adfree had an update to .45, but was uploaded as another app with the old version taken down. I found it by a google search finding the older version, then found it under more from developer. After finding it, I pushed it to my phone from the computer and was good to go.

AdFree Android
  6. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member

I to had always used adfree and started getting the above msg a few days ago, i done a search and ended up installing adaway and now feel i have a better app than i did before :)
  7. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

Most games I had AdFree couldn't handle and I still got ads - their hostfile updates were either out of date or the app didn't work for me. AdAway modified the hostfile well enough (so far) that neither of the games show any ads ...
  8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

To be fair though, apps like these are only as good as the maintainer. But the maintainer can only be as good as those reporting ads that are slipping past the app.

In other words, the app devs depend on their users to report ads slipping past the host file. Of course, it would be perfect if you saw an ad to be able to tap on something and report it to the host file dev.

But you are right though. For whatever reason AdFree does not get updated anywhere near as often as AdAway.

On an off-topic note:

You can run the original host file that blocks harmful ads/connections (this site existed long before Android came out) on your PC or laptop. It comes from here: Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File
    mydian and EarlyMon like this.
  9. ron243

ron243 New Member

search for adfree bigtincan in google....
  10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Tbh though (and i hate ads too), using these apps is directly and indirectly robbing the devs. I do understand people using them if there isnt an ad-free premium version of the app available though but can i ask people to tap on the ad a few times to support the dev before blocking it :beer: