• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

slckrck

Feb 5, 2010
I've had this phone long enough. It was cool compared to a dumb phone. But after a while, freezing, lag, phantom restarts, poor signal, and random twitches have surpassed my patience.

I am going to switch to a Droid X. I heard good things. Few complaints. The HTC Inc. and Sam. Fascinate is nice but I'd rather not have a dead battery by noon everyday.

This forum has been great for extending my patience by tips to improve performance and quality. Thanks guys.

"Double Rainbow All The Way... It's so vivid... What does this mean?"

I've had this phone long enough. It was cool compared to a dumb phone. But after a while, freezing, lag, phantom restarts, poor signal, and random twitches have surpassed my patience.

I am going to switch to a Droid X. I heard good things. Few complaints. The HTC Inc. and Sam. Fascinate is nice but I'd rather not have a dead battery by noon everyday.

This forum has been great for extending my patience by tips to improve performance and quality. Thanks guys.

Did you consider rooting your Eris?

Upvote 0
Did you consider rooting your Eris?

I'm sure rooting has it's benefits to the device. I honestly didn't want to go out my way to make a phone work like I would like it to. The Android OS is far too advanced for the hardware of this phone. I guess I feel as though when I buy a phone off the shelf, I should just be able to turn it on and use it, wait for any OTA updates, and keep using it. We all pay good money for these phones.... Why do we have to program it too? Rooting is a great way for people who like to modify their phones in such a way but that is something I have no desire to spend time doing.

Do you agree?

Upvote 0
I'm sure rooting has it's benefits to the device. I honestly didn't want to go out my way to make a phone work like I would like it to. The Android OS is far too advanced for the hardware of this phone. I guess I feel as though when I buy a phone off the shelf, I should just be able to turn it on and use it, wait for any OTA updates, and keep using it. We all pay good money for these phones.... Why do we have to program it too? Rooting is a great way for people who like to modify their phones in such a way but that is something I have no desire to spend time doing.

Do you agree?

I sure do agree with all of that, slckrck.

Where I may part company with you though is at a notion something akin to what caused me to soup up my '57 Chevy many years ago. ;)

Upvote 0
Anyone going to the Droid X should also check for problems associated with it(EDIT: at the moment, the 2.2 update "should" fix a lot of the issues), heres an informationweek article:

http://www.informationweek.com/news...cle.jhtml?articleID=227200039&subSection=News

Summary of issues:
Exchange email is not working for all owners. There are two flavors of this:
-- owners who can't get their Exchange accounts set up on their Xs. Please go here for workarounds and news.
---and others who can get their e-mail, but don't get any notifications. Please go here for workarounds and news.
You may not want to use Smart Profile! Some owners are finding that Smart Profile isn't working correctly.
Deleting text message content.
Notification volume
Issues getting VPN to work.
Flickering screen.
Camera issues.

** My bro-in-law has the volume issue and the camera issue with his DX.

Upvote 0
Anyone going to the Droid X should also check for problems associated with it(EDIT: at the moment, the 2.2 update "should" fix a lot of the issues), heres an informationweek article:

Motorola Issues Warning About Updating Droid X Unofficially -- InformationWeek

Summary of issues:
Exchange email is not working for all owners. There are two flavors of this:
-- owners who can't get their Exchange accounts set up on their Xs. Please go here for workarounds and news.
---and others who can get their e-mail, but don't get any notifications. Please go here for workarounds and news.
You may not want to use Smart Profile! Some owners are finding that Smart Profile isn't working correctly.
Deleting text message content.
Notification volume
Issues getting VPN to work.
Flickering screen.
Camera issues.

** My bro-in-law has the volume issue and the camera issue with his DX.

Good content. Thanks Selvikin. I plan to move to another device sometime in the next couple of weeks. I am going to wait until after the launch of Fascinate for the first wave of reviews. I am hoping the 2.2 update will fix those bugs stated from the article you posted. I know there are several new phones coming in Sept/Oct. I may try to stay in tuned to the rumored product line for VZW. There are very nice powerful phones out/coming so the choices could be challenging. But I have made up my mind on getting a high end phone.

Upvote 0
i thought the eris is a good phone. then i rooted and slapped on 2.2 kaosfroyo and now its an amazing phone! should have tried that before you spent a couple bucks on the new X. just sayin.

I haven't bought any phone yet. But highly considering. This phone sucks in my opinion for the things I've previously stated. Rooting it would probably help those issues but I honestly don't have the patience to root anything. I purchased the Eris for nearly nothing so getting a new phone wouldn't be technically wasting money. Unless someone has a root program that I can download onto the phone, automatically backup everything, install, reboot, and install all of my stuff with one touch of a button making everything effortless (like an OTA), then I'm not really interested in manual rooting. Like I said, I would like a phone that I shouldn't have to do all of those things to get it to work properly.

Upvote 0
Just about all the phones out there right now have their issues. It doesn't really matter the manufacturer either. Software issues are easily fixed with updates or rooting and installing custom roms. Hardware issues never go away. If you do end up switching phones, I hope you find one that works the way you need and want it to. Good luck, slckrck.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your responses. When I take the jump to a new phone whether it is a DX, Incredible, Fascinate, or whatever, I'll be sure to poke my head in this forum just to see how you guys are doing. I will keep my Eris regardless. Would be a great backup phone. I might root it one day just for kicks but it will certainly not be my primary phone. Take care

Upvote 0
The extended battery for the Incredible, while $60 NIB, makes a world of difference for the device. My wife gets several days - that's plural for those keeping score - of usage out of her phone before she has to charge it.

My Eris can't compete speed wise, and furthermore hits the charger way more frequently. (And yes, I do use power-saving techniques to reduce the load on the battery) I get a day - day and a half TOPS. That part of that really is me putting the phone into Airplane mode.

I really want a physical keyboard, although I am used to the Android keyboard now. I'm interested in what may be on the release schedule coming this November / December.

Upvote 0
agreed

kaos is a beast froyo rom

I'm trying to urge 2.2 lovers on rooted Erises to try all of them that they can find. Test them each for several days if you can.

The reason is that I'm discovering that the three major ones I've been running are all very, very good in their own ways, plus having the similarities of what Froyo is about.

Cyanogen is, of course, involved in many Froyo ROM development projects. ;)

Upvote 0
Nonsensikal is my ROM of choice for the time being. I have had the least amount of issues when running it. All the apps work, there is generally little to no lag and overall the phone feels fairly modern still despite being eclipsed by better hardware over the past year.

I'm feeling the same way about Nonsensikal.

Good job by that dev.

Upvote 0
I haven't bought any phone yet. But highly considering. This phone sucks in my opinion for the things I've previously stated. Rooting it would probably help those issues but I honestly don't have the patience to root anything. I purchased the Eris for nearly nothing so getting a new phone wouldn't be technically wasting money. Unless someone has a root program that I can download onto the phone, automatically backup everything, install, reboot, and install all of my stuff with one touch of a button making everything effortless (like an OTA), then I'm not really interested in manual rooting. Like I said, I would like a phone that I shouldn't have to do all of those things to get it to work properly.
Slckrck, I completely understand where are coming from. I was very unhappy with the phone until a rooted and flushed a new rom in it. But I can understand if a person having put out cash expects the phone work without screwing with it. When you buy a new car it would be ridiculous to expect anyone to do anything analogous to what we are doing with our Erises. Or even with a computer; we buy it, we use it and most of the people don't do any fine tuning on it.
So why are we so bent on rooting, testing this, changing that? And notice, the only gadget we do this extesive screwing around with is the phone. Why? IMO, 1) because we can, 2) most of us who do this are geeks 3) because this is new technology which is far from perfect, and because it is literarly at our fingertips and it is a challenge.

Peter

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say one thing...i appreciate all the posters replying and not saying anything like "why post goodbye? Just go. Troll". I've seen this many times in other threads like this where all someone wanted to do was share their experience and where it's taken them. Makes me sad to see people getting badgered for not doing anything even remotely trollish

Side note: i left eris for a droid 2. The eris was a great phone to introduce me to android

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say one thing...i appreciate all the posters replying and not saying anything like "why post goodbye? Just go. Troll". I've seen this many times in other threads like this where all someone wanted to do was share their experience and where it's taken them. Makes me sad to see people getting badgered for not doing anything even remotely trollish

Side note: i left eris for a droid 2. The eris was a great phone to introduce me to android

We are all very nice to each other here. :D Except maybe when it comes to discussing task killing:D:D.

Upvote 0
The Incredible is a very nice phone. I have read a ton of reviews where the battery life is somewhat of a joke. The "fix" they have is a $65 battery extender... The screen is quite nice. Tough to see in the sun from what I've read. Also, the DX comes with more internal memory.

Uh, why can't they fix these battery issues before releasing these phones?

Upvote 0
I was very frustrated with my Eris after the 2.1 update. The dialer got worse, it would freeze and randomly "reboot" showing the HTC logo for 20 seconds or so, and then come back up. There were other misc. things going wrong with it, too. All of that finally pushed me to root my phone, and now I love it. I figured, "what the hell.... it's already sucking. If I screw something up by rooting, I'll just get a new phone."
With the 1 click root, it's so easy. I used Titanium Backup to re-install my apps and preferences, and switched to using LauncherPro. I'm still fiddling with it, but I have to be honest, I LIKE fiddling with it. So it's probably not as big a deal to me.

I totally understand the frustration, though. It's an expensive bit of technology that should just work. I like the Chevy analogy... Except for me it would be a Colt Turbo : )

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Upvote 0
Droid? :smh:

AMOLED>>>>

People that can't keep their phones charged for more than eight hours with moderate use are doing it wrong.

D2's straight, but if you were looking at the Fascinate but turned away...if the price is the same and the Hummingbird is the superior processor, I couldn't justify it.

Hard keyboard get you? I'll admit, I do enjoy it, but... the AMOLED always brings a smile to my face.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones