Adjusting Earphone VolumeGeneral

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Well-Known Member

When I plug in my earphones, the volume automatically goes down a bit. Perhaps this is for the safety of ear drums and hearing, but is there any way to prevent this? Is there a box to check, or uncheck somewhere??

thanks,

:D
    RD

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

There's no easily-accessible means of defeating the protection. If there were, they wouldn't waste time making sure that you can't destroy your hearing by blasting full volume into high-efficiency earbuds and killing most of the cilia in your inner ear. (If you could, they'd be open to lawsuits. Just a warning on the screen has been determined, by many courts, to not be enough. (Most people press OK without reading anything.)

And you WILL ruin your hearing. Not all at once, but as cilia die, your high frequency limit keeps going down, until you get to the point that you hear a constant 4KHz sound in your ears. Even in a soundproof room, with ear muffs that kill all sound, you still hear that whistle. All day, all night, until you die. It's no fun. And hearing aids that actually help when you do that to your ears cost more than the most expensive cellphone on the market. Each. Mine cost US$6,000 for the pair, and that was years ago - the price has probably gone way up since then. (My loss wasn't due to earphones, but to an explosion I was too close to, but half a watt of audio into a pair of earbuds will do the same thing in not too long a time. So will 120 watts into pair of high-efficiency speakers in a car. By the end of this century, "huh?" will have become one of the most used phrases in English.)
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I recall reading a post (I think it was here) in which a user complained vociferously about the warning message when the volume is turned above a certain level saying that he knew best how loud to play his music.

I made the point that the warning is there for a good reason. He disagreed but immediately went on to say that he couldn't hear very well after years of listening to music that was too loud. I rather thought that suggested that Samsung had a better idea of what was good for him that he did.

The volume drops when you plug in your earphones for a very good reason. I'd leave it the way it is if you don't want to go deaf and damage your earphones.
  4. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

You can get decent earbuds for $10. Good hearing aids cost a bit more (for HUGE values of "a bit"). And it's still not like hearing with good ears.