Adobe flashSupport

1. R=G

R=G Well-Known Member

Whats up with this? Not having it screws with certain streaming live sites..do I use the youtube trick to install or is that a mistake?

Advertisement
  2. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

3. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

I believe the Puffin browser will play Flash files.

Like most/all Adobe products, Flash is a security nightmare and something to be avoided. If you have a specific browser that plays Flash files and only use it when you intend to play a flash file, your risks will be reduced.
  4. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member

I installed the latest version from the Adobe archives a few weeks ago so I could watch Amazon Prime videos in Firefox. Prime worked, but sluggish, even became unresponsive a few times. However, other sites started failing to load, like Facebook in the browser (I dont use the app). So, what flash may giveth, it may also taketh away in other places.
  5. Shine 52

Shine 52 Well-Known Member

I use Boat Browser. Read something on XDA about it. Works fine.
  6. R=G

R=G Well-Known Member

The boat one works...dont like other things being affected though.
  7. Maltytasker

Maltytasker New Member

Dolphin browser had flash support reinstated a couple of updates ago, and seems to work fine.
  8. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Yep. Dolphin plays Amazon Prime smooth as butter on my Verizon S4.
  9. arrow201

arrow201 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ...What version of Dolphin/Flash are you guys using ? I have the
    latest Dolphin (10.0.1) and the latest flash as of this writing (11.1.115.69),
    have the Flash Player setting set to "Always On", but I find flash flaky.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...
  10. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Root your device and install the AOSP Browser Installer off the market, it works fine with flash content once you've installed flash.

The 3rd party browsers are all unstable with flash, puffin is the only other option but other than flash support it's a rubbish browser.
  11. Goodspike

I suggested above only using a browser which supports Flash for when you want to view Flash objects. That way you won't get infected by a "drive by" Flash object that appears on a legitimate site.

I hate Flash, in case it's not obvious.
  12. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

"drive by" flash object? Sorry, what? :smokin:
  13. Goodspike

14. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Oh, never seen flash ads refereed too as a drive by flash object before but it makes sense. :D

I've only ever seen malware infections on desktop's so it's not something I'm concerned about and they're usually easy to clean up. When I see malware affect an Android device with my own eyes ill be concerned about it, until then i'll carry on as usual. :)
  15. Goodspike

I would tend to agree, but Adobe software has been so problematic over the years, and Android so fragmented, that at some point I can see it being an attractive target. Running 4.2 it probably isn't as much of a concern as if you're running Gingerbread or earlier.
  16. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

For flash content (BBC News for eg) the Chrome browser in Mobile mode (HTML5) plays video content.
  17. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Southpark Studios, Amazon Prime and ESPN are big examples of sites needing Flash. HTML 5 ain't yet an option for those sites. Dolphin beta works smooth as butter with all three on my S4, Excite 7.7, TF300 and Nook HD+ with CM 10.1.