• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adroid device for older users

Hello there, welcome to AF! :)

Spec wise, it's not amazing, but the Pantech Marauder has a beginner mode which simplifies things a little if you're not used to Android: Pantech Marauder brings an entry-level, user-friendly Android smartphone to Verizon for $50

That being said, despite what some might have you believe, Android isn't as overly complex as it's made out to be. My mother and father have the Samsung Galaxy S2 & S3 respectively. They've both fired a couple of questions my way, but for the most part, they've managed to use the phones with no issues themselves.

We'll always be here should you have any question with any of your handsets too.

Upvote 0
I have a similar experience. My wife just bought her first smartphone, and while she's more than averagely computer literate she doesn't find phones that interesting so wanted something "less complicated" than my setup. She bought an HTC, and with minimal consultation with me had it set up to her tastes pretty quickly.

P.S. Don't do yourself down on the age - you're only a little older than I am :)

Upvote 0
Hi i am 51 and looking to get an android phone my carrier is verizon. I have previous experience with smart phone but none with android phones. I was wondering what would be a good starting android phone for someone who is older so there is not so much of a learning curve.

Android really isn't that complicated. That being said, I believe the Samsung phones are the simplest as far as UI goes. The Galaxy S3 would be a solid choice if you can stand having a phone that large. It has better battery life than anything besides the Razr Maxx, it's quick, and they've sold enough of them that I'll bet they get the jelly bean update before anything else.

Upvote 0
Hi there and welcome to Android Forums and the world of Android! :)

I think being new to the Android OS is the factor, not the age. And I'm right behind you, like many others here.. lol

I personally don't think you should start with a lower end or entry level phone because most of those have lower end specs and that might sour your Android experience. Since the OS is going to be the same on different phones (some will have different release versions however), I would choose a phone with access to the newest version of Android so you have the latest and greatest.

The most important factor to consider is how will you use your phone? Are you a heavy web browser, heavy phone usage, texting, listening to music, watching movies, etc?

Things like a removable battery might be more important than user interface. Whichever one you start with will be easy to learn. I was a HTC fan until the last year - but it's my personal phone usage that has taken them out of my line up for choices.

Samsung Galaxy S3 is a good phone, you can't go wrong. They've lightened up their TouchWiz UI so what you might read from a year ago probably won't apply to TouchWiz anymore. Same for HTC Sense, actually. As mentioned above, Samsung will update their phones pretty quickly now, much faster than they used to... they're Numero Uno and their momentum is making waves in the Android world. No way they'll let that dwindle.

Once you get the basics, you can move on to more involved settings if you want, but you don't have to. That's why I say start with the best; then the choice is yours on how customized you want it.

The learning curve will be no different from phone to phone, IMO; and the posters above are correct - you can always visit here for any questions you might have. It is a REALLY great community!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones