• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Advanced Camera functions for EVO

xefe

Jun 27, 2010
Looking for a way to do sports mode and the many other camera modes that cell phones offer. I upgraded from an htc touch pro 2, although it did not come with sports mode initially enabled, there were registry fixes that allowed this to happen. Is there such a 'easy' fix for the android platform (EVO) ?

search turned up nada..

Upvote 0
I still want to know what the heck this sports mode even does? Sounds like some placebo effect.
From google...
In digital camera terminology, sports mode is a type of scene mode photographers can use to help take better sports or action shots. The sports mode will usually automatically set the camera to increase the shutter speed in order to freeze the action in the frame. Sports mode may also be called action mode on some digital cameras

Upvote 0
I have never heard of sports mode before. Describe?

Yeah, I've seen settings for that on my wife's digital camera (I've been using film until now), so I looked it up at:

Digital Camera Modes

Photographing moving objects is what sports mode (also called ‘action mode’ in some cameras) is designed for. It is ideal for photographing any moving objects including people playing sports, pets, cars, wildlife etc. Sports mode attempts to freeze the action by increasing the shutter speed. When photographing fast moving subjects you can also increase your chances of capturing them with panning of your camera along with the subject and/or by attempting to pre focus your camera on a spot where the subject will be when you want to photograph it (this takes practice).

Basically, it sounds like a shutter-preferred auto setting. I'd expect you'd get close to the same with the built-in camera's exposure set to a high ISO value and then maybe set spot metering and manual focus.

The Camera Zoom FX seems highly rated, I just may try it out.

PS - many thanks, ScorpDX, xefe, didn't know that's what it was!

Upvote 0
basicly sports mode takes 3 pictures in rapidly without you having to hit the picture button.

And on my old winmo phone I could take up to 30 photos back to back (not practical) but was able too.

with an 8mp camera sports mode would rock!
That sounds like what I've always heard called "Burst Mode" not what the "Sports Mode" search netted...

Upvote 0
basicly sports mode takes 3 pictures in rapidly without you having to hit the picture button.

And on my old winmo phone I could take up to 30 photos back to back (not practical) but was able too.

8mp makes it harder to do sports mode. It takes longer to read the data off the chip, and longer to write it to memory, simply because there's more data to move.

I argue that this is a phone, not a camera. A real camera will give you faster shooting, a better lens, and more.

Upvote 0

Coming from WinMobile as well, sprint mogul. Gotta love doing the regedits and completely customizing the phone and all the advanced settings. Sure gonna miss that haha. Also doing the Wifi hot spot was awesome.

Upvote 0
That sounds like what I've always heard called "Burst Mode" not what the "Sports Mode" search netted...

hell it may be burst mode.... all this speak of ISO modes blah blah blah :)

All I want is for my camera to take 3 quick pictures one after the other with one touch of a button, lol. Dont need any other bells and whistles. First one to point me to this app wins a big THANKS from me :)

runner ups get the THANKS too :)

Upvote 0
8mp makes it harder to do sports mode. It takes longer to read the data off the chip, and longer to write it to memory, simply because there's more data to move.

I argue that this is a phone, not a camera. A real camera will give you faster shooting, a better lens, and more.

Should be able to hold a picture in the ram shouldnt it ? I dont know how the cameras work on this platform, but holding a 3mb picture in memory shouldnt be a big deal, even x 3 for burst/sports mode.

Coming from WinMobile as well, sprint mogul. Gotta love doing the regedits and completely customizing the phone and all the advanced settings. Sure gonna miss that haha. Also doing the Wifi hot spot was awesome.

I am soooo gonna miss out on the customization available.
With this being a new phone and all of the updates coming out, I am skeptical of 'rooting' plus havent read enough into it. Wish it was just simple as winmo :)

Upvote 0
So if you want that, what you ACTUALLY want is the ISO setting, which can be found in settings. You want a higher ISO setting to capture faster movement.
um...no. ISO is the sensitivity of the chip to light, not shutter speed. Higher ISO will give you MUCH grainier photos.

The Camera ZOOM FX app has a burst mode, but its not free...
I've been looking at this for a while. I may just have to try it out and refund it if it's not good.

OP: You are wanting burst mode. Sports mode is a feature with faster shutter speeds, to reduce blur of movement (running, swimming, etc.)
The most pictures that a PHONE could take in a second is probably one, with 8 mp. If the quality were lowered, 3 mp, I bet it could do 3-4 snaps a second.

Upvote 0
um...no. ISO is the sensitivity of the chip to light, not shutter speed. Higher ISO will give you MUCH grainier photos.

Correct if just considering ISO on it's own, but with many cameras (not sure about the evo), when you force the ISO to be at a higher level (more sensitive to light) than required for lighting conditions, the camera will compensate by increasing shutter speed. In effect, giving the user the desired result for action shots to reduce motion blur.

Upvote 0

Keep exploring. I think you'll eventually find that customizing an Android is much easier.

With Windows Mobile you had to update/add/delete registry entries, essentially relying on the stock software (such as the stock camera software). Sometimes you had the luxury of finding CAB's with someone's piecemeal answer. For instance, modifying TF3d.... what a pain.....

With Android, it's as simple as going to the Market and downloading a new app. I have completely replaced my stock camera app with Camera 360 Pro

Upvote 0

I've been looking at this for a while. I may just have to try it out and refund it if it's not good.

OP: You are wanting burst mode. Sports mode is a feature with faster shutter speeds, to reduce blur of movement (running, swimming, etc.)
The most pictures that a PHONE could take in a second is probably one, with 8 mp. If the quality were lowered, 3 mp, I bet it could do 3-4 snaps a second.

Somewhat true but using a 100 iso verses 400 iso will net you a clearer picture where as a 400 iso and higher will provide better "stop motion" with the potenial of grainy picts due to the shorter time the shutter is open. Not recommend for low light enviroment without a flash.

Peace, Chuck

Upvote 0
I actually change from teh Galaxy S Epic to the HTC Evo and was really surprise:thinking: to see the difference. The Epic was able to take "Action Mode" shots of very high quality, Panoramic pictures of up to 8 shots that looked amazing. It had so many cool camera features and I expected the Evo to have them since the camera is 8mp...:mad:...
Any ways, that's my imput. I'll try the Vignette (spelling :eek:), but it sucks I have to pay now on the Evo when I had it on the Epic...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones