advanced launcher bug?Support

Last Updated:

1. kofuukali

kofuukali Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

Despite having a relatively clean configuration, or so I believe, but I have read and followed practically all advice found on battery issues, I still can barely last a day with no programs running except google chat, google mail, background data, auto-sync, and maybe 2 hours of music listening.
    I am running Galaxo 1.1
    I was more or less resigned to accepting that I might just have a lousy battery, but last nights problem was so flagrant that I couldn't miss it.

99% battery when I put it into airplane mode for the night
    10 hours later: 63%!!
    I checked out the battery usage, and it said
    screen on 0.4%
    running 64%!!
    there was no culprit in the partial wake usage indicator
    but when I checked out CPU consumption, I found
    advanced launcher to be in a huge first position, saying it had been running for 6h since last unplug (about the time I switched it into airplane mode)

I don't even ever use the advanced launcher as all my programs are on my home screens.
    Has anybody else noticed that advanced launcher could go crazy on them that way?
    What could be doing this? any ideas?

Thanks so much for the help.

Advertisement
  2. informale

informale Well-Known Member

kofuukali

try removing the launcher, especially if you do not use it.

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

background data turned off?
    my battery wont last a day with that turned on and most things function without it appart from market

4. informale

he said he was in flight mode. does it matter?

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

yes background data is being used by the phone not the network. its used to process information for tasks to run in the background like sync and market
    this keeps the cpu running.

and example of this is turn off autosync but keep bg data running and youll still see the battery die over the day quite quickly.

its a poorly implemented feature in android imo

6. ryko

ryko Well-Known Member

Have you tried a wipe or factory reset ? have found in the past about the only way to stop runaway programs, remember to back up your apps etc.. as most of your setting are wiped clean and I think you will have to reinstall galaxo. Hope another member can confirm this as I am not to familiar with Galaxo
    Oops bit of a slow writer I see Rastaman has already replied, best follow his advice

7. informale

I though Android system services like that are smart enough to idle, when phone is clearly in flight mode and won't let them access the Internet.

Google apps are certainly not as stupid as some weather widgets, or are they? <- Okay, question answered )

8. screaminbug

screaminbug Well-Known Member

What do you mean you don't use it? Isn't Advanced Launcher a replacement for a standard Home? I don't think your problem is Advanced Launcher. My usage statistics are pretty much the same as yours. In CPU usage AL is on strong 1st place, and it's not listed on battery stats.
    My battery typically lasts for 2 days, but I have cellular data turned off (with APNdroid) most of the time. WiFi is on (turns off when phone goes to sleep) and no google talk. Background data on, autosync on.

9. informale

Hmmm... In fact, screaminbug may be right...

kofuukali, are you sure you're not confusing Advanced Launcher with Home? AL is a replacement for Home screen. It looks pretty much the same, although has some extra options. So if in fact you are using it, than it is normal that it consumes CPU time and why would you have it installed and not use anyway.

10. screaminbug

Yes. Advanced Launcher comes with Galaxo as a Home replacement and you cannot uninstall it via application management. I think there is no standard Home in Galaxo at all (?)

11. kofuukali

Thanks for all the answers!
    It is as screaming bug says I believe, advanced launcher must have come with galaxo as I have never installed it. It is not removable, and not really stoppable either it would seem.
    I could stop background data of course Rastaman, and if you say that your battery doesn't last a whole day with it, I now know what to do in case I really need it to last.
    But this is not the culprit here, as never before has my phone taken 37% in one night, background data or not.
    And right now, I am really loosing battery still, visibly, although it is now off.
    Screamingbug, you say that AL is also first in your usage time, but does it also have 6hours usage time, in a 10hour night?

The funny thing is taht I have absolutely no culprits in my battery usage, not even an inkling of a blue line in all the categories except for the other usage telling me of the 66%running rate.

Rastaman, usually if the problem is linked to background data, I could be wrong, but I believe it shows as a big blue line for android system under the Partial Wake tab.

this must be something else...

12. screaminbug

I think the keyword here "before". Is it before you installed Galaxo or befor installing some app on Galaxo?

Regarding my usage stats:
    ApplicationLauncher currently has 34913638 ms total usage time (approx. 10 hrs)
    In contrast, the second is Settings with 3491206 ms (about an hour)

In battery usage, however, there is no ApplicationLauncher listed anywhere.

Hmm.. and now I see I may have misunderstood you. You said you had 6 hrs in Battery history --> CPU usage and not in usage statistics? (we're talking about Spare Parts tool, right?)

If that's the case, then it's not the same here.

Not sure what to suggest. Try looking for advancedlauncher in logs after you put your phone in an airplane mode). Something like:
    adb logcat -d | grep advancedlauncher

And take a peek in system log to see wakeups
    adb shell dmesg | grep suspend

Maybe it'll shed some light on the problem.

13. kofuukali

I had installed galaxo for a while now, and before that had gone a few months with stock android... by before, I meant all configurations I had had, nothing had given this behavior before. And the only "new" thing, was that I had come back from roaming again, and was having this issue I had opened in another thread (difficult connectivity after coming back to home network).
    Maybe issues were linked to that one.
    The reason for my extremely slow answer, is that the issue finally resorbed, and I have not been able to reproduce since...
    So I will post back here, if it does come back.
    Thanks again for all the help.