Advanced Task Killer questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. abscissaordinate

abscissaordinate New Member This Topic's Starter

First let me explain how I use Advanced Task Killer (ATK). I use all the default settings with the exception that Auto Start is off. What I do is, every now and then, I open ATK and kill every app that shows up on the list, including ATK itself.

I've had my Incredible for about a month; I've been doing the exact same thing for about that long as well. However, recently (maybe a week or two, I am not sure), once out of every handful of times when I ask ATK to kill all appls, ATK kills them, but the white background with green "htc" logo shows up for a second or two. (It looks kind of like when the phone first boots up.) Then it goes to my home screen, but it looks dim and fuzzy, like when you turn off your phone where a rectangle pops up in the middle of the screen saying the phone is shutting down while your home screen is dim and fuzzy. Instead of saying the phone is shutting down, however, the rectangle box in the middle says "Loading..." I do not know what it is loading.

My impression is that when I ask ATK to kill all the apps on the list, it somehow kills some "important" ones so then my phone immediately reopens those apps hence the "Loading..." screen. What is puzzling, however, is that it just started doing this recently. I do not think I have made any major changes to my phone in the last few weeks.

I have tried to pay attention to the apps that ATK kills before I kill them; I have not been able to spot any pattern.

Does anyone have the same experience? Or does anyone know what is happening here? As far as I can tell, my phone runs fine, but it is a little bit disconcerting when that "Loading..." screen shows up every now and again.

Thanks!

Tim

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Scrap ATK. You don't need it. Android manages memory in such a way that it has the ability to cache application you aren't running so that it will launch quicker when you launch it. By using ATK, you're actually making your system slower because now when you launch an app it will actually have to launch the app instead of triggering it from cache.

3. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

yeah what he said

abscissaordinate and callmeox like this.
  4. abscissaordinate

abscissaordinate New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the responses. I have ditched ATK.

Given the symptom I described did occur, the question now, though academic in nature, is whether the symptom reflects some sort of underlying problem with my phone? If it was just ATK that was causing the problem, then great, I got rid of the problem when I ditched ATK. However, if it was something else that was wrong with my phone, I would like to know about it!

Any thoughts?

5. one11sgt

one11sgt Well-Known Member

My guess is when you first got your phone you had 2.1 . By now you have 2.2 . ATK is not compatible with 2.2 and does not work properly. It is most likely that ATK was functioning differently and improperly after your 2.2 upgrade.

abscissaordinate likes this.