• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

advanced task killer wont shut skype off

"root" = superuser (su) access, and is required to do much of the low-level stuff with Android due to the Linux roots (no pun intended!) of its kernel. Ordinary user account(s) are prevented from accessing much of the file system and system processes for security reasons. "Rooting" allows you to let apps run at an elevated level to bypass this restriction.

HTH

Upvote 0
"root" = superuser (su) access, and is required to do much of the low-level stuff with Android due to the Linux roots (no pun intended!) of its kernel. Ordinary user account(s) are prevented from accessing much of the file system and system processes for security reasons. "Rooting" allows you to let apps run at an elevated level to bypass this restriction.

HTH

It's just like running a program as an administrator windows, it lets the program access system files.

Autorun Killer does this too (made by the same guy as Autokiller).

thanks u 2 for clearing that up for me , i might have a go at rooting when the 3network 2.1 becomes available and do everything at once

im new to the whole android and htc , and i can say for sure that im glad i dont have a crappy iphone no more or my satio good riddance to both of em

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones