• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advanced task killer

There are lots of reasons to be using a task killer app, people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

Sometimes after heavy use, certain settings pages, for example "Manage Applications" can take quite a while to load fully. A quick task kill before speeds this up.

You might not just be using it for speed reasons. Maybe certain background apps are battery hungry and you want to make sure they aren't running when not needed.

Or similarly, maybe some apps use a lot of data while idle. A task killer will stop them eating away at your data allowance.

Upvote 0
Normally I tell people not to use one if they ask. This is because if you don't know too much about how android works, then using a task killer will cause you problems, even problems you don't realise.

Having said that I use a task killer, but I ignore every single core service (everyone should do this), and I have about 20 other items on my ignore list.

You really need to be smart about it, and in my view should only be used to kill those 3rd party apps that do not correctly apply their services (there are a few developers that don't seem to understand the android os either..)

I'm using Advanced task killer app on my desire, it seems quite effective but i've read reports that it is totally unnecessary as the phone manages apps itself, however whenever i start ATK there are loads of app running in the background. Question is, should i bother with it or not?

So in reply to this i'd go with no, you don't need it. There are apps running in the background but android itself can manage these. Try without and see for yourself :p

Upvote 0
I'm using Advanced task killer app on my desire, it seems quite effective but i've read reports that it is totally unnecessary as the phone manages apps itself, however whenever i start ATK there are loads of app running in the background. Question is, should i bother with it or not?

Well technically the apps aren't 'running in the background' but are on 'standby' or 'idle' when they are not being used. They take up memory but are not actively using the CPU (check CPU%, should be 0). Why you don't need one is that Android OS, if it's low on memory and see some idle apps that you haven't used for awhile, the OS will end those tasks to free up space for tasks you're using. If you end a task prematurely, the OS will open the app from scratch again, thus using more resources than had it continued the app from an idle state.

Only reason you need an ATK is if the app doesn't have an 'exit' function (pressing the back button doesn't work) or you know you won't be using the apps after you finished with it.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

Upvote 0
As everybody else has said, basically you don't/shouldn't need one but after using my Desire for a while without it I just ran in to too many problems with 3rd party apps, and not having a Task Killer left me without control really, if something hung I couldn't get rid of it.

Personally I'd like a simple Force Close button like I do on my desktop.

Upvote 0
I installed a task killer first thing, but then I read the stories about it actually not helping and lowering the battery. I uninstalled it and found my phone to become quite bogged down and slow to respond as the memory filled up and it was deciding what to close and do next. So I put in another one today (ES Task Manager) and it all seems fine, it ignores services automatically and you obviously have to put certain programs on ignore but for things that don't need to be open it keeps the phone going and running full speed ahead.

Upvote 0
Normally I tell people not to use one if they ask. This is because if you don't know too much about how android works, then using a task killer will cause you problems, even problems you don't realise.

Having said that I use a task killer, but I ignore every single core service (everyone should do this), and I have about 20 other items on my ignore list.

You really need to be smart about it, and in my view should only be used to kill those 3rd party apps that do not correctly apply their services (there are a few developers that don't seem to understand the android os either..)

So in reply to this i'd go with no, you don't need it. There are apps running in the background but android itself can manage these. Try without and see for yourself :p

lekky, do you think you could compile a list of the core apps i should ignore? or just write out what you're ignoring? :) i think what you're saying makes perfects sense... in fact, i do the same, but i'm not really sure which core apps i should choose to ignore... i put people in my ignore list, since i noticed it just keeps restarting, so there's really no point in killing it :D

also, i noticed that some apps - when running for a few hours/days - like friend stream, footprints, stocks, when i kill one of these, they take down a whole lot of other apps with them and even restart HTC Sense, hence why i put the HTC Sense process in my ignore list, but that doesn't seem to be helping... a list of the core apps that we should ignore would really help...

what'cha think? :)

Upvote 0
Lol, you're in luck. There is an app called force close button that adds a button to your notification bar (only visible when dragged down), just pull it down and close. Been using it since the day I got my Hero ;)

Unfortunately this app is not compatible with froyo and according to the dev it will never will be,so it is only a short term solution.

Upvote 0
It's rubbish but the functionality is sometimes necessary. Saving battery - rubbish. Constantly monitoring uses battery. Background tasks... they're in the background. I.e. they're being system managed at 0% CPU.

However, sometimes the browser gets itself in a tiz and needs a quick kill before using it again. Sometimes rogue apps don't behave properly. Kill em.

Other than that it has no merit.

Lots of otherwise useful apps (systempanel or astro) have task killers built in. Use one of these as tyeyre not designed to constantly monitor and waste battery (well, systempanel does.but its .monitoring all sorts)

Upvote 0
I use it for one thing.

My phone takes about 3 hours to shut down when I turn it off so before I turn it off I kill all tasks using atk. When I do this it takes about 10 secs to turn off.

Have u tried to work out which app(s) affect a shutdown/restart? I dld swype the other day n it killed my battery in no time. A simple restart fixed the issue, but its difficult to know if u dl a lot at 1 time.

Upvote 0
Well i've been using ATK for about two weeks now and since i started i get a lot more usage out of my battery. With light usage i've been getting 3.5 days before i need to think about a re-charge, i.e. down to about 20%. If you use the airplane mode overnight also it improves the battery usage.:D

I would be reluctant to remove it now:)

Upvote 0

watch post# 2 video below the link, hope it would help you to solve your confusion.
http://androidforums.com/support/1473-do-programs-keep-running-background-how-stop-all.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones