Advantage of rooting?

Last Updated:

1. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What does rooting do for the User? So far I have had N1, X10 and Hero, I should be getting the milestone soon, Ive heard about rooting but never looked into it, what does it do? Should I do it? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Rooting gives you the ability to modify system files that you are not able to modify as a normal user. Some apps require root permissions in order to work as they also need to modify system files.

A lot of people get confused between rooting and installing a custom ROM. These are two different things, but often get confused because custom ROM's often come with root access. It's not necessary to root in order to install a custom ROM, you only need to do it if you (or an app you want to use) needs to modify system files. For instance if you wanted to remove a stock app, you would need to root.

More info on rooting the milestone can be found here...
    All Things Root (Milestone) - Android Forums

3. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Come again?

You don't have to install a custom ROM once you've rooted, but if there's another way to install one, I'm not aware of it.

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

It's not necessary to root in order to install a custom ROM

Root (SU rights to the ROM's system files) is not necessary to replace the recovery image in order to install a custom ROM. Not really sure how I can make that clearer?