• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Advantage to using hacked 3G Hotspot vs. Wireless Tether?

Btros

Android Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2010
What are the differences and/or advantages to using Wireless Tether vs. "hacked" 3G Hotspot, which I've been seeing people talk about recently? I was under the impression that Wireless Tether is a free option for wireless hotspot capability - is using the hacked 3G hotspot less detectible or something?

i use the wireless tether, and it is an adhoc connection however no net support for me, cannot figure out why either, i had it working once, and dont remember how, so i basically have it installed but given up on tryin to make it work, considering i really dont need it with my cpu/phone haha, verizon has coverage just about everywhere, and my 17 alienware is not something i can just tote around if you know what i mean

Upvote 0
Wireless Tether is an AdHoc connection, while the 3G hack is a "standard" wireless connection point.

Someone with more knowledge please elaborate

This is the reason I use the TBH 3g hotspot hack. I rarely use it since I am generally near wifi but I sometimes use it to tether other android phones and a few other devices that do not support ad hoc.

Upvote 0
I went to speedtest.net and tested wireless tether, 3g hotspot and pdanet. I don't remember the numbers but I do remember that WT and 3g hotspot were pretty close while pdaent was much much faster. I know the dif between WT and 3g HS, adhoc and infracture. I will retest and submit results. with better data and description on testing methods.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones