Advantages and Disadvantages of Rooting a Telus Milestone?

Last Updated:

1. Mortus

Mortus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 1, 2010
    Alright, been doing a fare amount of reading in this area since I got my phone. There is granted a lot of guides on how to do it, but what I really want to know is other than granting compete access to the phones firmware which is a really basic answer, what can I really accomplish if I root my phone?

Can I change icons on apps I have installed? Say I want to use my PandaTheme's Phone Icon on Dialer One instead?

Really what will I be able to do?

Also what are the disadvantages of doing so? What will I loose other than possibly warranty?

2. Croak

Croak Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Lose nothing, it's about 5-10 minutes to revert back to stock if you need to take it back for warranty, most of that time spent rebooting.

Changing icons can be done, but it's not always easy (programs like Metamorph help ease this), but having root is a prerequisite in most cases.

Other things you can do is backup your system data to SD card or disk, disable ads in programs, overclock/underclock, remove unwanted system apps, change things like the boot animations and notifications bar, etc.

But if you root and do none of those things, you still haven't hurt the functionality of your phone, other than not being able to get over-the-air updates as long as the vulnerable recovery is installed.
  3. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    so does the telus canada non service version stock the phone?

lol answered my own question... flashed and got everything back haha i went deleting like a mad man in the root :D surprisingly enough it can fix itself for the main things so the phone dont crash