• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Advantages/disadvantages of having Sense?

bbonox

Apr 25, 2010
Utah
I've rooted my Incredible, and I keep seeing roms that have Sense disabled. Can anyone point out the advantages of getting rid of Sense, and also what you'd lose if you got rid of it? (I really don't know much about Sense, I just know it was a talking point before the phone came out :p)

without sense you loose the scrolling widget ability, the people widget, calender widget, message widget, e-mail widget, music widget and the awesome clock widget, basically all of HTC's widgets wont be there. you can replace all of these with other market apps like pure music, pure grid calendar, pure messenger, fancy widget or beautiful home. If you download pro launcher or adw you can enable scrolling widgets but only a few support them and ther is a people widget like the HTC's but it never works on my D inc.

Upvote 0
without sense you loose the scrolling widget ability, the people widget, calender widget, message widget, e-mail widget, music widget and the awesome clock widget, basically all of HTC's widgets wont be there. you can replace all of these with other market apps like pure music, pure grid calendar, pure messenger, fancy widget or beautiful home. If you download pro launcher or adw you can enable scrolling widgets but only a few support them and ther is a people widget like the HTC's but it never works on my D inc.

So basically you lose nothing. :)

In all seriousness, though, it's really a matter of taste. If you really like the HTC Sense stock widgets, and don't make a little lack of customization, then stick with Sense.

If you're like me and would rather tailor the look/feel of the phone to exactly what you want, then get rid of it. The only thing I miss is Scenes. Other than that, I'm very happy with my Senseless setup.

Upvote 0
By getting rid of sense won't you also lose facebook syncing of contacs?

Why would you want to lose that?

vanilla android has facebook syncing. it just works different from the way sense has it set up. its actually easier to sync facebook contacts in stock android than in sense where you have to manually link contacts to their facebook (AFAIK). one of the biggest gains from ditching sense is more battery life. i switched to a stock rom for a day and with the same amount of use i had way more battery left at the end of the day considering there was no more constant syncing in 5 different apps and no more services running in the background to power the sense ui.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones