Advantages of 2.2OTA vs. Leaks?

Last Updated:

1. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that it looks like the 2.2 SBF is online, how many people who are running leaks are going to upgrade to the 2.2OTA that supposedly include an updated bootloader/kernel/radio?

For those who did already, do you see any differences at all? Moto made some claims that the new one was better (i.e. that switching between wifi and 3g would be more seamless), but have people noticed differences?

I guess I held out on upgrading to OTA because of the no SBF and the whole episode of the unlocked bootloader, but now should I consider upgrading? Would I lose any advantages of staying on the old bootloader? Thanks guys.

Advertisement
  2. georgepink

georgepink Member

Bump for an answer to this question....

Added question(s)> will I remain rooted and deodexed, or will I need to move SU and deodex again after?

3. Flying_Hellfish

Flying_Hellfish Well-Known Member

As for why to go OTA vs leak, other than being on the latest "official" release and still being able to sbf if you brick I can't think of a compelling reason.

If you do sbf to 2.1 then OTA you will need to root and deodex again.

4. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I may I have some issues with the leak and Appbrain's fastweb download that I'd like fixed, along with some other similar type issues being caused because my phone thinks it's a D2.

5. mezdup

mezdup Well-Known Member

your phone probably thinks it's a Droid 2 because of the build.prop market fix which... essentially makes your phone think it's a Droid 2 to remove any market restrictions.

6. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Nope running a stock Build.prop. Somewhere along the way it picked up some number that is the same on all D2's and breaks fastweb download and the ability to push thing to my phone from Appbrain site.

7. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Huh so if we're fine with the leaks, there's no compelling reason to upgrade to OTA?

Is the new kernel actually improved? I mean in the end I'm still going to install some other ROM over it, so it seems like the only benefit I would get would be if the kernel was better? But then again maybe there's no reason to stay on the old kernel either other than it's still using the old keys.

I wonder if now that this has been released moto's going to change the keys again on the next update.

8. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

I thought that the only difference was the bootloader (nothing to do with Kernel). The OTA simply has a different bootloader that no longer allows the 2.1 SB F file to be used.

But I also heard the leaked version does not have the radio changes? I don't want to flash to OTA to find out what this means, since there is no going back for now. I wish someone could post some screenshots if this is true? Birdman said it would be possible to downgrade the bootloader, but I don't know if this assumed that the efuse would be cracked or not.