Advantages of developer phone? Azerty keyboard possible? Thx!

1. Dr.Drane

Dr.Drane Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm a J2EE / Flex developer and I'm interested in developing software for the android.

Could someone tell me what the advantages of a Google Dev Phone 1 are?

SIM / hardware-unlocked Android Dev Phone 1 surfaces for $399

I think this might be interesting for me but I live in Belgium and therefore I'm used to AZERTY keyboards... :(

Any comments welcome!

Greets,

Jochen

Advertisement
    :
  2. Dr.Drane

Is there an advantage of buying a Dev Phone now that you can unlock and root a normal G1 too?

This way I could buy a french azerty G1 + unlock and root it, so that I have the same as an azerty Dev Phone...
  3. dynodroid

dynodroid Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on this situation, but if you plan on purchasing a G1 and getting root access then I don't see the difference in which phone you decide on.
  4. Dr.Drane

Also it seems that you can turn a G1 into a Dev Phone:
    Regular(rooted) G1 to Android Dev Phone 1 - Android and G1 Forums, Mods, Hacks, News, Downloads, Skins, Themes, and more! | ModMyGphone

Unlocking might not work in this way:
    Unable to use AT&T SIM on Dev Phone'd G1 - Android and G1 Forums, Mods, Hacks, News, Downloads, Skins, Themes, and more! | ModMyGphone

But if I buy an unlocked G1 with azerty and turn it into a Dev phone with the link above I might just be able to get an azerty dev phone (actually a hacked G1, but who cares) anyhow.

Greets

ps: any comments still more than welcome! :)