Advantages of ROOTING your phone

1. mcyates

mcyates Well-Known Member

What are the advantages of rooting your hero?

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Root allows you run as "superuser", effectively giving you total control over the OS. You can add/remove stuff from the device memory, change ROMS, recovery images, themes, backup installed apps.... A nice round-up of some useful reading can be found here.

/Al
  3. mcyates

mcyates Well-Known Member

thank you very much!! :D
  4. cdmackay

cdmackay Well-Known Member

I've heard that getting root removes the ability to install paid-for Market apps; can that be true?

I find it hard to believe, that just creating a setuid-root /bin/su could do that, but I don't know. Or was that referring to booting specific ROMs, not just getting root and then booting the original ROM?

any other downsides of getting root? real ones, that is, not the jokey ones in the links?

thanks much indeed...
  5. Slug

Not here for sure, as I bought a couple of apps minutes after rooting mine.

None I've found, apart from the ability to completely pork things up by tampering with something you shouldn't. Luckily God invented backups for just that sort of stupidity. ;)

/Al
  6. cdmackay

7. cdmackay

Just rooted mine, finally, easy enough.

Go straight to Market, and buy Root Booter and Root Explorer; both now stuck at "authorizing credit card", for a fair time, which has always worked fine before.

I hope this is just coincidence :)

edit: looks like dozens of having people having similar problems, not all rooted, so yes, coincidence :)
  8. cdmackay

and it took a few days, but my stalled paid downloads finally awoke today, odd.
  9. ELIXIR

ELIXIR New Member

thanx xo much
  10. paulyeo11

paulyeo11 Member

So can I conclude if I roots my S2 , I still cannot download apps from market for free right ? I mean those paid apps.
  11. Slug

Of course you can't. Paid apps are just that - they require payment. Rooting is not a way to obtain pirated software, which incidentally is something strongly discouraged here at Android Forums.
  12. ilordvader

ilordvader Well-Known Member

Device: At&t Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
    Android version: 2.3.6
    Baseband version: N7000DDLA2
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-N7000DDLA5-CL919506dpi@DELL180#2
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.DDLA5

Mine is a ulocked phone
    do i still need to root my phone ?

Please
  13. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

Once unlocked you can use different sims, however if you want to install custom roms - alternative versions of the operating system on your phone then you will need to root your phone as well