1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Adventures in USB OTG; what are you using it for?General

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Well, I've been using MX Player to play movies from the OTG mounted sdcard, and it seems to work fine while I'm playing, but the problem I run into is that something must be started in the background that has something open on the sdcard, because I can't ever seem to unmount it so I can safely unplug it. I don't suppose there is an app out there anywhere than can kill things that have certain filesystems open is there?
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I had the same issue but no solution. Even force closing MX Player didn't work.
  3. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Using my USB OTG to connect thumb drives to transfer files to and from the tablet. Import pictures from my DSLR And my wife's point and shoot. Used Chainfire's DSLR controller app (amazing BTW). Also verified mouse works through USB OTG. Very nice feature! Galaxy Nexus has it as well, so I can do all of that on it too.
  4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Just ordered a USB OTG, main reason is to have more films with me.

I have to transfer them to the N7 in order to watch them though right? But I can do this without root?
  5. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Unless they are movies that you have downloaded via means other than the Play Store, it won't help. Play Store rentals and purchases, as far as movies go, are stored on your device within the Movies app, not as a separate file.
  6. MartinS

They are all mp4 files ripped from DVD.
  7. Claghorn

I use MX Player to play movies directly off the OTG mounted sdcard (but I do need root access to run stickmount).
  8. MartinS

Using MX player and like it. Happy to move files back and forward when I need to to play them.
  9. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

CNH likes this.
  10. MartinS

Anyone in the UK bought a reliable USB OTG cable? Mine from eBay doesn't work...
  11. sleezecheeze

sleezecheeze Well-Known Member

Figured this was the correct place to post this, is this the appropriate cable to be used for mass storage and other things?
  12. chistery

chistery Well-Known Member

13. chistery

chistery Well-Known Member

MartinS likes this.
  14. MartinS

15. MartinS

Does a USB OTG cable actually do anything? Other than convert from micro USB to USB? I've seen an HP micro USB memory stick which looks interesting...
  16. Claghorn

I'm not absolutely positive, but I think all the circuitry is in the device, I think the cable is just an adapter to get the connectors to fit in the right spots.
    MartinS likes this.
  17. Sailing_Nut

Sailing_Nut Well-Known Member

Hoping this is the best place to post this. Does anyone know if Radio Shack carries a USB OTG cable? Figured that would be a good use of my Google wallet credit. :)

I've searched but their site is a bit difficult to say the least!
  18. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

That was the first place I tried and they don't carry them. I would recommend amazon
  19. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member

Newegg has them too, in this country (and I think free shipping), for about $4.
  20. sleezecheeze

OTG cable arrived today. All of my flash drives work perfectly, shame it won't play .avi files though (is there an external app that will?)

Also mounted my 500GB portable HD with stickmount. Mounted perfectly first time, it's formatted to NTFS so obviously the stock kernel does support NTFS.
  21. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

MX Player supports a bunch of different types of movies that the stock player won't handle.
  22. johncf

johncf Well-Known Member

yeah, i have 3 players and between them you cover everything

dice
    mx
    and mobo

mobo tends to give better audiou output for some reason, handy when not using ear phones.

but DIce seems to be ( to me ) the best of those 3
  23. sleezecheeze

Got VLC media player (it's only beta) and it plays .avi files off my NTFS HDD perfectly.

It even played .iso files!

Strongly recommend you guys try it if you're having troubles playing a certain file. It is still unstable though, but so far I've had no problems.
  24. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

I spotted a device on Amazon which claimed to have a USB port for a keyboard & a selection of slots for various sizes of memory cards. When it arrived this turned out not to be true. I'm finding it impossible to find another one, has anybody seen anything like it?