Advice...but don't shoot me.

Last Updated:

1. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been following and reading forever here. I won't call myself a newbie but i'm not as good as you guys. I came from WM and everything is different.

my question is; what can i do with stock 2.1? i'm not going to root and i want to wait for the real OTA from Verizon.

can i install kernals??? (or do you have to be rooted)

can i update to that new Radio (or should I wait)

things like that. what can i do to my Stock 2.1 that will make the phone better.

i will eventually root but i want to wait until we get 2.2 and find the new root method. what can i do in the mean time.

sorry for the stupid questions. and only answer if you have spare time. back to reading and studying now

Advertisement
  2. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

Without rooting, any of the things you mentioned can't be done with the exception of installing the 2.05 radio leak.

wedgemoose likes this.
  3. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks...

should i? I read something about "once you do it you can never upgrade again"?????

i could be misunderstanding though.....

4. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

if you're just rooting, you can un-do it and go back to stock.

if you're running unrevoked forever (which gives you s-off and the ability to do much, MUCH more), then there is no way to reverse it at this point...although i remember reading on xda that they said s-on will be out "as soon as they get to it."

note: you can only upgrade to the 2.15 radio if you do s-off (which as i said above at this point isn't reversible). without s-off you can only upgrade to 2.05...

5. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Not true moose. You can downgrade anything you do except Unrevoked Forever (S-off). From what I understand, if you Forever root your phone you can *always* reroot even if you downgrade and unroot. If you unroot and downgrade you will be offered the OTA according to the devs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

It is up to you whether you apply the update. Weigh the benefits you may get from the update against your willingness to take the risks involved with applying an unsupported update. It is possible to return your phone back to the shipped radio and you should be fine for future updates. I've been rooted since before the update came out so I can't give you a definitive answer about how painless it would be for a non-rooted user to revert back to the stock. I have reverted to shipped stock once (was rooted prior) and found the process fairly painless but, as with any modifications of this type, your mileage may vary.