Advice for a potential android newbie

Last Updated:

1. tamatisk

tamatisk New Member This Topic's Starter

I want to get a new phone and like the idea of the Android aps. I currently have a monthly sim only plan with t-mobile and would prefer to keep this and not go onto a proper fixed contract. I know I can change my booster to get 'Unlimited Internet' which I've found out means 500 mb. Would this be enough for an android that requires always on internet?

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

It really depends on what you intend to do with the mobile internet.

Personally, I only use the mobile internet for light browsing whilst out. You know, just reading a few websites and so on; I don't download video or music or the like. I also turn off mobile internet when not using it and do any major downloading via WiFi. So I've never come anywhere vaguely close to my 1GB limit. (My typical usage is usually under 10MB a month).

On the other hand if you're going to be streaming videos left right and centre, updating your apps and so on via mobile internet, you can burn through it very quickly.

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

I am usually well under my 500mbps limit. However I have just used about 160mb listening to a half hour radio show on BBC iplayer :(

4. tamatisk

tamatisk New Member This Topic's Starter

Just for g-mail really, maybe a few apps.

Can you turn off the internet on all phones without adverse effects? I was worried when they said always on internet.

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

YOu can easily turn data off. Put a widget on your home screen for one touch turn off. But usually its no problem. Mine is always on. I used to always put WiFi on at home but I forget sometimes now. NEver come close to using my 500mb. I do a lot of browsing on the go

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Then you should be just fine. You can also track your monthly usage with an app called '3G watchdog', which will make life easier for you :)

In a lot of non-smartphones you can have the internet enabled, but it won't be used unless you launch the browser or whatever. With android, apps will connect to the internet even when you're not using them (i.e. to check your emails/facebook/etc). So it's 'Always on' in the sense that if it's enabled, apps are going to use it.

But yeah, you can turn it off whenever you want.