Advice for bluetooth headset / car stereo

Last Updated:

1. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hope someone on the forum can help, as I don't know anything about the possibilities with bluetooth!

I need some way of answering the phone while driving. Existing car stereo has external jack input, so I use the Desire as my sat nav / ipod, plugging it into the stereo via two 3.5mm jacks.

Thinking of buying a bluetooth headset to let me answer phonecalls.

My question is, would this work with the above set up? Or would it try and send the output via the "headphones" jack to the car stereo?

Car stereo does not have bluetooth. Just the aux input from the phone (sat nav / music). I don't want the music / sat nav to play into my ear, just phonecalls!

I know this is expecting a lot - but is it possible to do?

Advertisement
  2. biscuitlad

OK - another idea. If I buy a blue tooth car stereo and a blue tooth headset, can I play music from my phone through the stereo, and still divert calls to my headset?

3. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

not quite sure if its legal to listen to music through headphones while driving.

for the rest, ask for advice in halfords, you don't have to buy from them but they will tell you all the options

4. biscuitlad

But I don't - that's the whole point!

I want music through my stereo, calls through my headset! I want both to use bluetooth from my Desire. I know there are different bluetooth profiles, but I don't know much about how it all works.

Anyone know if this is possible?

5. enebesniak

enebesniak Member

I use a Alpine head unit with Bluetooth option. I connects to the Deisre via bluetooth and then I can do basic controls to stop/play and skip music on the Desire via the head unit as it plays music. Then it will pause if a call comes in an vice versa. Use it all the time.
    Even better If your listening to the phone via headphones and then get into the car, it will automatically then play through the stereo when you turn the engine on.

6. biscuitlad

Is it the phone that does the switching or your headset/stereo?

Can you give me details of both your headset and car stereo?

7. biscuitlad

And what happens when a call comes through?

8. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

I have a sony mex-bt4700u head unit.
    If I want to listen to music via bluetooth I just select the 'Bluetooth Playback' source. Otherwise I can have it on Tuner, CD, USB/iPod or Aux input and it'll still connect the phone for when a call comes in.
    This means whenever a call comes in the music stops (on whatever source) and then the head unit makes a ringing noise through the car speakers. You press the button on the head unit to take the call and hang up. When the call finished the music starts up again for whichever source you selected.

9. enebesniak

enebesniak Member

I have a Alpine iDA-X100 with a KCE 300 BT bluetooth module. It does the same thing as Si Pie's Sony above.

If you have paired the phone up with the car and leave the bluetooth on on the phone, as soon as the headunit switches on, it automatically grabs the phone so it will play its music through the stereo and not the headphones anymore. You will have to select it as a source input on the stereo. I did the same thing with my N95 and 5800.

To my knowledge I don't think you can have it paired up and still listen to the music through a headset or headphones. But I may be wrong.

10. biscuitlad

Brilliant - cheers for the help. :)