Advice for extending the battery.....for those of us who are not technologically minded

Last Updated:

1. ellykay

ellykay Member This Topic's Starter

I have reviewed every battery life thread. My battery life is okay, not horrible. But, with extremely light use, I can only get about 12 hours. The largest percentage of use always shows 'idle'.

Can anyone give me some pointers about how to extend it? Are there any basic things I can do? I followed the directions about CDMA and think (hope) I did it right. Unfortunately, I am not very technologically minded. I don't understand most of what is posted here. :D I can make a call, answer a call, download apps, send a text message and check email. That's about it.

Advertisement
  2. chuckevo

chuckevo Member

Go to the "all things root" section here. Read some of the posts especially the guide that is sticked. Its written very well and includes photos. I would recommend you root the phone, then I recommend you install the overclock widget (must be rooted), this allows you to change the speed of your processor.

Basically a processor is like your car engine, at high revs your making a lot of power but using a lot of energy. At low revs your using almost no gas but making no power. As a user suggested here we can use the overclock widget which generally are used to increase power by making more revs, but in this case we can use it to put a rev limiter on the phone thus reducing power by not allowing it to rev to full capacity. Now you might ask wont that decrease performance yes, but the application allows you to limit the power the processor when the screen is off and on. When the screen is off we arnt using it, so we decrease the max power, I personally did half of stock, and have seen no issues at all, others have gone to 1/4 of stock with no issue. Now when the screen is on no changes to speed are made and the processor and speed continue as normal.

For me that has been the only thing to improve my battery life dramatically, I tried all the other guides here, including a task killer. But so far the underclocking of the processor during screen off has been the best. I am at 8 hours unplugged now with 81 percent left. Remember this wont change the battery consumption during normal use, only when the phones screen is off.

3. ellykay

ellykay Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for the info. I will check it out. I am an intelligent person, but the way gadgets function is beyond me.

What exactly is rooting?

4. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

easy answer for the "not exactly technically minded" crowd: turn off any/all radio functions you don't need when you don't need them.
    if you want to always have your email/IM/dinner's ready/someone near you is doing pushups/I don't even know anymore... alerts as soon as they happen, then your battery life is going down

5. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

try this... Open up the sprint zone app and then go into settings and change the update frequency to only at startup.