• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Advice Needed - Time required to code projects

addamroy

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
I've been interested in the learning about the development of applications for a while now, particularly for the Android since I myself have one. And I decided I want to make one. Not sure if it's going to be a game or a tool of some sort just yet but I definitely want to get something out there.

My approach to this would be to outsource the development, as I myself don't really have the time to learn it and I've had success with creating and working with teams using people I've hired from Elance in particular.

Basically my question is (in a broad sense), how much code can a good coder do in an hour, and how much coding does it take to do particular things in an application? I know that's somewhat vague as there are many variables that come into play, so I'll provide an example and see if someone can steer me in the right direction as far as roughly how long I should expect it to take to accomplish various things.

Example:

A simple game app, a pong type game, two bars on the sides, bouncing a ball back and forth until one of the two bars misses the ball. Some cool music and maybe a moving background to keep the eyes entertained as the level progresses. Maybe the ball goes faster and faster as you hit it back and forth. Possibly design the ball and two bars to be somewhat fancy and cool looking, maybe sparks effects when the ball hits either bar.

Roughly how much code, and how much time would you estimate such an application would take? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what an android programmer would be faced with as far as what a project entails.
----

Again the example isn't something I plan on creating, but if I could better understand the complexity and timeliness of the jobs themselves I could better estimate what it would cost me to have an idea developed into an application.

I appreciate the help, I'll certainly come back with any advice or results if it helps out.

This is impossible to accurately answer as, like you said, there are just too many variables. What I can tell you is that the average hourly rate that a developer will charge is $100/hr. Also most developers won't do games. Even the simplest of games is more complex than most other applications. Don't underestimate the complexity of a pong clone. Just because it looks simple, doesn't mean its easy to code. Though pong is much easier compared to, say, a 3d RPG.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
What I can tell you is that the average hourly rate that a developer will charge is $100/hr.

If you go to elance.com, you can find developers who will work for MUCH, MUCH lower than $100 an hour. I've had web-based and desktop-based applications developed and wages are not that high.

Also, don't assume a programmer from another country working for $10 - $20 an hour won't do a good job ;) Just sayin.

Don't underestimate the complexity of a pong clone. Just because it looks simple, doesn't mean its easy to code.

So there's no way you could estimate for me, how much TIME such a thing would take to complete? That was the gist of my initial question, I'm not underestimating what's required to do such a job, just trying to understand it as far as time, from a developer's point of view.

My goal here, with this question, is to get an idea of how much 'time' goes into developing an android app. And I was using the 'pong game', as a rough example, if I could understand how much 'time' would roughly be needed to code such a thing it would help me better understand what to expect before I hire a developer.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Well, a developer who specializes in apps likely doesn't have much experience in games and vice versa, however if you find an experienced developer, he/she could probably write a pong clone from the ground up in a couple weeks or less. If you can find someone who has much of the core mechanics done in a modular way already, then that estimate can be lowered substantially. Now, add on testing time (which I have no idea how to estimate) and graphics design time (again, I am not a graphics designer, so I cannot comment).

Upvote 0
ok, if you don't mind me asking let me try this...

If I were to come up with a concept, let's just say it's not a game and just start with a general app, what aspects of the idea/project should I consider to roughly estimate approximately how many hours such a thing would take to create?

Idk lol that's probably still a too many variables to answer question. Like for example, I used to be in construction full time, if you were describe to me a potential project, like a wrap-around porch or new trim or a new bathroom, i could roughly know how many hours it would take me. And I'm trying to learn somehow, how to estimate the time required to develop various applications before I get into the hiring/interview phases of this new branch of my business.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones