• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Advice on partitioning prior to ROM update

enemi

Sep 21, 2009
Hi Guys,

I am currently running MoDaCo 2.5, firmware version 1.5.
Been busy the past few weeks with work and what not, so I haven't been keeping up to date with the ROM updates.
I checked today and found that the latest version is 3.0 and I have been reading up some threads where I read that apps2sd can be done on the phone itself now after updating to the latest ROM.

Can some one give me some detailed explanations on the methods of achieving apps2sd.

Would I have to partition the SD card prior to updating the ROM, or would it be advisable to do so after the update?

Thank you in advance

I am currently running MoDaCo 2.5, firmware version 1.5.

In which case you'll already have a custom recovery image flashed to the handset which probably has an option to partition the SD card. ;)

Can some one give me some detailed explanations on the methods of achieving apps2sd.
You install the ROM, reboot, and then wait impatiently for several minutes as your installed apps are moved from internal to external storage. Yup, it really is that simple nowadays!

Would I have to partition the SD card prior to updating the ROM, or would it be advisable to do so after the update?

Definitely advisable to partition prior.

First thing to do is check that your recovery image allows partitioning. If not update it to one that does - Amon-Ra's is my tool of choice. Once you've done that, copy any irreplaceable data from your SD card to PC, and then use the recovery image to create two partitions, FAT32 and EXT3. The default size for the latter is usually 512MB and quite sufficient. Once that's done you can reboot, copy the user data back to your new FAT32 partition and copy the ROM zip file across ready to install it from the recovery image as normal. If you're currently running MCR 2.x there's no need to wipe/reset prior to updating, so no data/settings should be lost. As noted above, the initial reboot after updating will seem to take forever as apps are moved to the EXT3 partition, but it's completely automatic.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
In which case you'll already have a custom recovery image flashed to the handset which probably has an option to partition the SD card. ;)

You install the ROM, reboot, and then wait impatiently for several minutes as your installed apps are moved from internal to external storage. Yup, it really is that simple nowadays!

Definitely advisable to partition prior.

First thing to do is check that your recovery image allows partitioning. If not update it to one that does - Amon-Ra's is my tool of choice. Once you've done that, copy any irreplaceable data from your SD card to PC, and then use the recovery image to create two partitions, FAT32 and EXT3. The default size for the latter is usually 512MB and quite sufficient. Once that's done you can reboot, copy the user data back to your new FAT32 partition and copy the ROM zip file across ready to install it from the recovery image as normal. If you're currently running MCR 2.x there's no need to wipe/reset prior to updating, so no data/settings should be lost. As noted above, the initial reboot after updating will seem to take forever as apps are moved to the EXT3 partition, but it's completely automatic.

Hope this helps.

very well explained slug.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed explanation Slug

I do have MoDaCo 2.5 atm, but I'm certain that I have not partitioned the SD card before updating to 2.5

Would that mean that app2sd is not activated in this case?

Also, is there a way to check if I'm currently using the amon-ra recovery image?
I followed the methods via unlockr to root my phone, and a link to the recovery image as recommended by them was provided on their webpage.

Thanks again for being patient with a noob like me. x)

Upvote 0
I do have MoDaCo 2.5 atm, but I'm certain that I have not partitioned the SD card before updating to 2.5

Would that mean that app2sd is not activated in this case?

Undoubtedly, as you won't have that required second (ext3) partition.

Also, is there a way to check if I'm currently using the amon-ra recovery image?
Unless you still have the .img file you flashed stored on the PC, the easiest way is probably just to boot it and see what's on the main menu screen. You can also check for a "partition SD card" menu option while you're there....

I followed the methods via unlockr to root my phone, and a link to the recovery image as recommended by them was provided on their webpage.
I'm fairly sure that was Cyanogen's JF1.4 originally, but the tutorials may well have been updated since then and more recent tools substituted.

Upvote 0
So the recommended steps I should take now would be to;

Firstly check what my recovery image is and if it's not amon-ra, flash it to that?

It's been a while since I used Cyanogen's JF1.4 Recovery... it might have the sdparted script incorporated which does the business but it's an adb shell job and a bit nerve-wrecking. I'd recommend RA-Hero-v1.5.2 though for it's user-friendly interface and wealth of functions. See here for details.

And secondly, partition my card prior to updating the ROM to MoDaCo 3.0?
Correct again. Don't forget to save anything important to your PC, as your existing single partition will be deleted in order to create the two new ones.

Upvote 0
do you happen to have a link to any pages that gives step by step instructions on partitioning sd cards?

Yes, but it's much easier (and less hair-raising) to just select an item in a recovery menu and have it done automagically. :)

If you're still interested let me know and I'll look something out when I get home from work this evening.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones