advice re backing up for 2.1

1. jonous101

jonous101 Well-Known Member

Just heard that the 2.1 is rolling out for unlocked handsets. My hero is sim free on 3. I'm guessing the upgrade will come across at some point.
    I bought my hero in October last year and i've never upgraded the firmware. Do i have to update it first? Also how do i back everything up? My contacts info won't be necessary coz they are all tied to my email address on google.
    Sorry for being thick, but i've never had a phone that could receive updates before.

Advertisement
  2. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

Hi The new 2.1 rollout comes in two updates , the first one is preparing for 2nd one
    suppose you have not got any..
    1)Set your phones date till any date and year 2011 this will trigger the 1st update
    after this you can go into handset and manually check for updates and you will get the 2nd one
    2)Updated mine did NOT wipe anything - all my programs and everything was left intact
    3)make sure your phone has at least 30MB of free space on phone memory avail
    4)when phone updates 2nd rollout it stops several minutes on 75% which is normal
    just be patient and wait , wait , wait
    after this phone will restart which 1st time takes a little long time , again wait and wait
    after that you will have like a brand new handset - very fast than before and nice looking and no lags...
    remenber to set back the correct date!
    Good luck!
  3. jonous101

thank you - i will have a go this afternoon cause i'm waiting on a call at minute.
    Just another quick question, how do you manually check for a software update?
  4. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

on your phones homescreen - press menu go into settings and about phone and then updates of software
  5. jonous101

i haven't got software updates option only status, legal info and system tutorial, everything else is faded?
  6. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

Do as i described in my first post - set phone year till 2011 - and go out of menu , after that - an OTA will arrive on your phone with the first update - update the phone as instructed on screen - when this is done - you set back the year till 2010 and then you go into menu and settings and in there in about phone - you will now have said option to search manually for firmware download - you do not have this option in 1.5 as you have now....
  7. jonous101

i've changed the year to 2011 - just waiting now - feel really nervous lol
  8. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

The 1st update shall come into your screen instantly....if not try to keep year 2011 and restart phone....
  9. jonous101

turned the phone off, left it for an hour, still no update coming through :(