Advice Re Creating Wifi HotspotSupport

Last Updated:

1. bigstu22

bigstu22 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. I'm wanting some advice from those who have used their Desires as a hotspot (either on 2.2 natively or with an app). How reliable and how fast is it?

The reason I ask: I'm thinking of getting an ipad (cue the abuse!) and rather than spend he extra on the 3G model I was considering using my Desire as a wifi hotspot.

Previously, I had an iphone 3G jailbroken and used the mywi app to do what I've just explained but with my laptop. It worked really well although not flawlessly.

Also, after some testing with the same sim card, I found it to be a bit slower than either a dongle or by connecting the phone via USB to the laptop (the latter of course won't be an option with the USB-less ipad!)

My suspicion is that I'm probably better off spending the extra as it probably won't be flawless, or as fast, using my phone as a wifi spot.

Any advice from those with experience with their Desire and a laptop or ipad would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Well,
    I've used both the v2.2 built-in wifi hotspot app, as well as the "Barnacle" app (on both v2.1 and v2.2), and I've found they both work quite well. My home "broad"band connection is a whopping 600kbit :( so the 2.5Mbit I get from the phone is a nice boost (although I'm only on a capped, not flatrate, data plan).

• Barnacle
      Works perfectly, great options to set SSID and encryption options. :)[​IMG]
    • Built-in
      This works fine as an open hotspot, and there seems to be a way to "only allow registered clients" -- but there is zero documentation on how to configure that, so I haven't been able to make a secure hotspot with this app. :confused:

Also ... Barnacle has the best icon ever! :p

3. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

Wifi hotspot with froyo works well on my dell laptop.

Im on the 3 network and also have a dongle with them. Speed tests show the dongle is slightly faster than the desire through hotspot, but there doesnt seem to be much in it when browsing the net.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Ditto. It has come in pretty handy.

5. bigstu22

bigstu22 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm closer to getting the ipad now. Thing is, when using my Desire as a wifi hotspot with my laptop it takes at least a minute to connect. Once connected, it's great-but as I will be moving back and forwards from my ipad with my phone I don't want to constantly wait a minute every time to connect.

I did briefly try my mate's iphone-and it seemed to connectto my Desire quickly-but I didn't get very long to REALLY test. I do suspect it's my laptop and that the ipad would be quick. Can anyone confirm?

6. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

iPad connects quickly to the two phones I have tried it with (Desire and Nokia 5800) and as others have said it browses fast. Only downside is that it kills the phone battery really quickly :(

Is your iPad wifi only or the 3G/wifi model?

Depending on where in the world you are I would look at getting a PAYG data sim (or a mi-fi type device) and keep it seperate from the phone, unless you are near a charger......