Advice

Last Updated:

1. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I'm seriously contemplating rooting my phone. I want to change my phone basically, and try out a few roms. I just need to know how computer savvy I have to be to install roms, how long it takes roughly, and how difficult changing roms or unrooting if I want to is.

Also, I want to try a Froyo rom. Whats the best one out there? I tried looking through the roms threads and can only find screenshots on a couple, so if you guys could post a link to a site with them or post yours that would be cool. I would LIKE something that has the Sense widgets, mainly the calendar, music, and clock/weather widgets with the animations. I know there are widget apps out there but I don't feel like paying just yet when I'm not sure if I want to stay rooted or not. For the rom suggestions I basically want what the battery life is, speed, and the amount of bugs or problems you guys have had. I know I can search the threads to find the other questions I have, and with your suggestions I will, but I'll be basing those searches off your suggestions.

Oh, and say I root but I don't like any of the roms out there, I don't have to install a rom to stay rooted, right? I would basically wanna just overclock it and remove a couple apps to possibly speed up my phone.

So, if you feel like answering any or all of my questions, I would greatly appreciate it =] and I apologize if some of my questions are n00b ones, I try not to sound like that, but with rooting I really just don't wanna screw up my phone. Thanks in advance =]

Advertisement
  2. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Last statement first, you can screw up your phone and all roms have a disclaimer from the developer that will say your broken phone is your broken phone not mine. Do you know how to download files, save them and find them? If so then it is not that hard to install a custom rom. Just don't unzip the file that you downloaded. It can take about 20 minutes to install a custom rom, then you spend the next how ever long to set the new rom up the way you want. Now you can unroot as easy as flashing a rom so that isn't a problem anymore. http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html
    Follow the link above to root. For a rom check out this link.Droid Eris Android Development - xda-developers
    To be honest you will need to pick a rom, and then read about it before you download it. For froyo try nonesensikal 12.5, I like the feel of this rom. As far as sense widgets, learn to live without and you will be happier. There are many widgets in the market that will work. Better alarm clock, beautiful widgets is another good one for stock looking clock like on sense.
    I would suggest staying away from kaosfroyo, they have 38 versions for a reason if anyone says otherwise just read about all the updates and the problems they have. Once you root you may never go back to the old way. Don't worry about being a noob, we were all there once. Need any help just ask, we all like to help.

cmajpwc likes this.
  3. cmajpwc

Well, I rooted it =] I think I'm gonna hold off on installing a rom just yet, but the black and blue version of nonsensikal looks sexy. Haha. I think for now I'm just gonna get rid of some of the pre installed apps, and see where it goes from there. Rooting was a lot easier than I thought, to say the least though. thanks for your help =]

4. kobel1up

Just be careful what you get rid of, and how much you overclock. If you go too high you can get stuck in an endless bootloop or force closes. Just make a nand backup of what you have and then you can flash a custom rom to have some fun with, if you don't like it you can always go back. Enjoy.

5. cmajpwc

Okay, so I flashed Nonsensikal, and I'm just curious about one thing right now. I don't have tactile feedback when I'm typing on the keyboard? I looked in the settings and its checked, so I'm just curious as to if this rom doesn't support tactile feedback of the keyboard or if theres some other setting I need to look at. I kinda really like the looks of this rom, and it seems pretty stable. That's the only issue I have right now, other than having to change all the settings so I can see the notifications and such in the notification bar. Haha.

6. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Congrats on rooting and loading a new ROM! :)
    I'm a fan of Nonsensikal, a good first choice.

There are a couple of different places to set the feedback, you need to make sure you're looking at the right one. One sets the feedback for the softkeys, a different one sets keyboard feedback. For the keyboard go to menu > settings > language and keyboard. Select the keyboard you're using (that's important, each keyboard has it's own settings). Under that should find something like 'vibrate on keypress' - make sure that's checked.

7. cmajpwc

Okay, one more question. How do I change the notifications in the drawer color? Like if I have a text, or something is downloading, the text for those notifications is black if I pull down the drawer. I tried looking in every setting, but I just can't find it.

8. kobel1up

Are you using the 12.5 black n blue rom? If so I am not to sure because I have the same problem. I guess I have learned to live with it for the past few weeks. If you go to the settings cyanogen mod settings, select user interface then start playing around in there to change colors, got my clock blue now. I also added battery percentage.

9. cmajpwc

Yeah, I am using the black/blue one. And I changed everything to white so I could see it, and even with everything changed, the notifications in the physical drawer are black. In the bar, they scroll across white. I have the clock, notifications, counters, everything set to white. I even tried making the custom notification drawer option to see it that would work, but nothing. Oh well, maybe I'll stumble across it some day.

I just can't wait for the new version of sense to be ported to the Eris. I'm pretty sure that will be the rom I stick with once it is released by one of the devs. The previews I saw of it were pretty damn sweet.

10. kobel1up

Not sure how I did it but I got my notifications to show up white. I changed all my stuff to white and this is what I have set. ticker color is white, count color white, no notification title color white, clear notifi label color is blue, ongoing notifi title color white, latest notifi title color white,items title color is white, items text is off white, item time is white. Now you may have to do a few reboots to get it to all take effect, I just noticed it today and it has been reset a few times. Hope this helps.