Advice

Last Updated:

1. gdubmedia

gdubmedia Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there,

I've been a lurker here forever, and posted a few times, but usually end up lurking from my phone, so I don't post often. lol I'm also new to root (just flashed Fresh this morning on my company's dime. :) ). All went well (thank God) and I'm lovin it!

I do have a question: What is the difference between a ROM and a Kernel? And any suggestions on which Kernel tends to be the best for improving speed and battery?

Thanks all!!

Advertisement
  2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

a ROM is a set of applications (and Kernel)
    a Kernel is the heart of the OS.. no Kernel.. no boot...

I like the Gumbo Kernel.. it's plenty fast and when used with SetCPU with a ondemand setting of 528/245 (or 528/160) the CPU slows down when not needed saving battery..

Fresh is a good place to start... after a while try out some of the other ROMs... I'm currently testing one built off of Pancake... CMV02.. I did make a few changes to it (added the droid rosie with a green tracker ) and changed my lock screen.. so far I like it! but a full day on it will show me if it's easier on my battery than Fresh/Gumbo (I was getting great battery life on that combo)

3. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Someone can explain it better, but in a nutshell, think of the ROM as the whole package, kind of like the OS. Think of the kernel as the processor, the brains of the operation.

As far as which kernel is best, I have been using Gumbo and love it :)

4. ccapasso

Lol...you know what mystic, I think you and I must be looking at these things 90% of the time at the same time...lol

5. gdubmedia

Cool thanks guys! I appreciate the help. DLing Gumbo right now. I load it jsut like I would a normal ROM right?

Also...when I switch ROMs or decide to go back to stock (for whatever reason), do I HAVE to do a memory wipe first?

6. ccapasso

Yes, you flash it like you would a ROM.

If you decide to go back to stock or switch ROM's, a wiped depends. Usually when going from 1.5 to Either 1.6, 2.0 or 2.1 or back the other way, then you must do a wipe. Each ROM is different, and usually they Specify if a wipe is necessary.

7. gdubmedia

Cool...thanks!