• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advise against wet application screen protectors

Yeah, so...

I'm not sure if I'm the first one on this board or not to admit that I may have water damage to my S3, but sadly, it has happened.

I had a wet application screen protector to put on the phone. I didn't overdo it, as I have applied many a screen protector by this method. Everything was fine and dandy, no dust or bubbles present and minimal water squeezed out the edges. After about two hours, I started to have an issue with my headphone jack "initializing" and not allowing sound through the phone speaker. About five hours after screen protector installation, the screen started to violently flicker. Right now, it flickers about once per half-second/second constantly. The touch screen is completely useable and functional, everything else works just fine. I have tried all the settings I could think of, a hard reset, and factory reset with no change.

I disassembled the phone with the help of a few teardown videos, just for my own amusement and noticed that the moisture sensors have been tripped. There is a thin layer of moisture around the inner edge of the phone. Because the screen is merged with the front half of the casing, there is no real way for me to determine how bad the damage is.

Moral of the story, probably a better idea to go with a naked screen or dry application screen protector. I used a minimal amount of water along with the "steamroom" method and I ended up with a major problem.

If I can, I'll post a video later of what it's doing.

Sorry to hear.. but was it a zagg purchased from a local retail store? Possibly at the same store u purchased the phone? Maybe they can help u out... since they "stand by the products they sell". It sucks one way or another but if u just let it completely dry out and turn it off for the night, I'm pretty sure the phone will function fine, even though the warranty is done...

Reactions: ikefox
Upvote 0
Man that sucks, sorry for your troubles. Thanks for the warning, I have two Skinomis on my desk waiting for their phones, and based on this I won't take a chance. Maybe this is why they had discounted them to 99 cents a coupe of weeks ago.
I've used Skinomi on a lot of devices without damage, but none had the design of the gs3.
Out of curiosity, where are the humidity sensors located?

Upvote 0
I would have thought that there's be of ton of Zagg, or similar, installs ny now.

I would have thought so too, but I couldn't find any information about water damage for the S3 specifically. Maybe I'm just an idiot and messed something up somewhere, but I haven't had any problems with any of my other devices with my wet application method.

Maybe I have a defective unit with the screen not flush against the edge or something, but I'd still advise against a wet application solely for the fact that you can't separate the screen if you need to.

Upvote 0
I don't get why ppl buy screen protectors now days for anyways. I mean unless you work in place you mite drop it or something or clumsy, Cause most screens don't really need them.

I work in a warehouse that leaves me with plenty of dirt and sand in my pockets by the end of the day. I regret the day I took my screen protector off of my DX, it looks like I took steel wool or a metal file against it. Really, small particles of hard material in my pocket is the reason I need one.

Upvote 0
I asked/mentioned in other threads - My concern about this phone as opposed to my Rezound, T-bolt, and incredible, was the possibility of water getting in by the physical home button.

I can't really tell where the point of entrance was for the water. I suppose the home button is as good as a possiblilty as anything else, there is a gap. My only finding was around the edges inside the casing of the phone itself and possibly between the inseparable screen and inner chassis. Not really any reason to risk it if you don't have to.

Upvote 0
I dont't know what to believe is it the screen protector i applied to my samsung galaxy 3, which i have had for two months the culprit.. I was told by a phone store employee that it was water damaged. I never opened back of cell until it would not shut off but would not work. It was severely overheating. I went to a second store and was told that my new phone would be replaced free of charge.
After googling the overheating issue i discovered many complaints. I'd like to find a way of getting out of my contract and return to a voice/text phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones