• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ADW/Helix/Other Home Replacements???

JerryB

Dec 1, 2009
Has anyone attempted to use a home replacement on the Motorola Backflip such as Helix Launcher or ADW.Launcher???

My girlfriend has this phone (I own Droid and have used Helix and now ADW and love them both). I am not at all a fan of the Backflip's Motoblur. I wasn't sure if a home replacement was put on the phone if it would possibly run better, considering MotoBlur is so "bloated".

I may just give one a try once I can get my hands on her phone...

Thanks!!!

there are some home replacements that work such as pandahome and open home but the higher end and more polished home replacements are only on android version 2.0+
the reason is because they use APIs that android 1.5 does not support.

we, the backflip owners, cannot run home replacement apps like adw, helix, home++, launcher+, etc.

we are getting 2.1 in q3 so we will be able to run the better home replacements by then.

Upvote 0
Open home is ok, but I am really liking GDE. Now I don;t care much for an iPhone but in the test to see if it can be done, this is the iBackFlip (using GDE, iDroid Theme, BetterCut for the icons and shortcuts, Serenade Icons and Tenuis Icon Pack): First image is Open Home; second image is GDE
OpenHome-iPhone.png
GDE-iPhone.png

There are a lot more free themes for GDE, but this is what I am using for now

Upvote 0
zeam is my favorite for speed and less memory, but i just dont like not being able to change the look of my homescreens, so i too have been using gde because i like how the buttons are set up and there are a few different choices of themes... we just need an app market that will give us screenshots before we buy the themes i sort of feel bad returning so many themes cause they are just plain ugly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones