ADW.Launcher works well the the Captivate

Last Updated:

1. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

IMO, those of you that want to try different Home Launchers should load Home Switcher and then try ADW.Launcher along with Launcher Pro. Home Switcher allow you to easily switch between the different launchers.

I'm new to android and I'm sure it's a personal preference thing to a large degree, but after playing with Launcher Pro (Free version) and with ADW.Launcher, I find ADW.Launcher very feature rich and my Captivate is really snappy.

Advertisement
    pinbak likes this.
  2. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

I agree. I've had no lag since switching.

3. MrTony

MrTony Banned

I noticed a pretty good increase in speed over LauncherPro and my battery life appears to be better as well. I'm monitoring it for a few days before I make a final determination.

4. norsairius

norsairius Active Member

You're not the first person to mention better battery life with ADW.Launcher over LauncherPro... I'm really curious about this and I'm testing it out myself. It's the weekend now though, so work-week testing will have to resume Monday, haha.

5. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

I agree. I switched this morning and so far I like it better than launcher pro

6. JuneNYC

JuneNYC Well-Known Member

+1 I really like all the customizable features on it. Simple, fast.closest look to a stock android ui.

7. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely amazed how this has taken away the Lag on the captivate. I feel like ADW.Launcher does a much better job showing off the hardware on the phone. There are a couple things that I like better on LauncherPro(such as the 3 section dock), but I will gladly live without them for the performance boost.

8. nmoline

nmoline Well-Known Member

Is there a way to have the gmail application indicate new messages in ADW similar to the way I could in Launcher?

9. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

I'm wondering this as well. I did some digging around the interwebz but I can't seem to find an answer. I've seen a couple posts where people asked that question but didn't receive an answer.:(

10. nmoline

nmoline Well-Known Member

My guess is no, and that could be a deal breaker for me on ADW.

11. jessiem

jessiem New Member

Try "Gmail Unread Count". I love it. :D

12. pinbak

pinbak Well-Known Member

I love this launcher..works great! Reminds me of the vanilla android I used to have on my droid. Although I haven't seen too much with saving on the battery..but I've only used it for about 12 hours now heh!!!

13. Sjla2kology101

Sjla2kology101 Active Member

Why won't it show up on the switcher.... Launch pro and touch wiz do.

14. Dennis_Bham

It (ADW.Launcher) shows on Home Switcher for me ... try loading it again maybe?

15. rajendra82

rajendra82 Well-Known Member

I was all sold on LauncherPro until ADWLaucher came out of left field and won me over. The ability to set the background color of the app drawer, the number of columns and rows on the home screens, a finer control over widget siziing, the possibilities of theme application, and a bit more logically arranged settings screen, makes this be tailored to your needs perfectly. It's a tie on my phone in terms of responsiveness between ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro. There are a couple of things like dragging items across screens and dock backgrounds that Launcher Pro does better, but otherwise ADW launcher rules the roost.

16. rajendra82

After playing with ADW Launcher for a little while, it's back to Launcher Pro for me. Both are great, but there is one killer feature in LauncherPro missing from ADW. Ability to drag folders across the home screens. Without this, I have to delete the folder I created on screen and recreate it another if I decide to add more screens. I also like how Launcher Pro makes the folders semi-transparent so that you can still see the home screen below. Both seem equally snappy, so I had to chose between the two.

17. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

Wait what? I can drag folders across homescreens ... I just did it right now. It's exactly the same as it was for touchwiz and LauncherPro.

18. Dennis_Bham

I agree, I can drag apps, widgets, folders, etc across home screens in ADW.Launcher ...
    drag it to the edge and hold it there for a second ... SNAP !

19. Dennis_Bham

ooops - duplicate post ... sorry

20. jblaze5779

jblaze5779 Well-Known Member

I played with both but prefer launcherpro due to the dock icon notifications, coming from the iphone I've grown accustom to seeing the little red number on the mail, text and phone icons.

21. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I miss the dock notifications, but I love the sticker theme for adw

22. rajendra82

My mistake. I suppose I did not hold it over the edge long enough. I do prefer the translucent folder display and dock notification icons of Launcher Pro. Not a whole lot of difference in them otherwise.

23. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

Does it have a customizable app drawer though? I like being able to move the icons around in TouchWiz and group by page. That's the main reason I don't use Launcher Pro.