1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

ADW Launcher

Last Updated:

1. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member This Topic's Starter

ADW things

Still in beta at this point

Very different launcher in a lot of ways.

Has left to right scrolling in the app drawer instead of vertical.

Has 2 main dock spaces for icons but if you swipe up on the app drawer instead of pressing it you will see what he calls the dock bar which has space for 6 more dock spots.

Tons of customization options.

Advertisement
  2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

I got this thing yesterday and it is slick! Dumped Helix 2 and am seeing a huge improvement in both speed and free memory... No force closes yet (I would have at least two or three a day with H2)... The dock bar is awsome and I love the two dock spaces...

3. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

If the dev will allow four apps to be docked, and increase the size of the docked icons, this could replace Helix 1.2 on my Droid...

4. ska.t73

Yea the docked icons are a bit small but I haven't run into any problems selecting them... I'm also kinda liking the 2 docked icons and then 6 apps in the drawer thing...

5. OMJ

well in a way you get 8 dock spots since you have 6 on the dock bar. Would be nice if the icons were larger though

6. Rota

Rota Well-Known Member

I decided to give it a shot, and while I like some of the features and it's speed, the screen transitions when scrolling between desktops are really choppy and slow. I'll stick with HelixLauncher 2 for now.

7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like the dock, but want my four (two left and right, as with Helix) as well!

Just a greedy, greedy person I guess. ;)

I'm setting this up to run as my default launcher for the next couple of days, to see how it fares over time and fits my usage. It is smoking fast, even faster than Helix for me, which is high praise.

8. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

So far, so good. It is working well here. I only really need 2 spots in the dock anyway.

9. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Damn...curiosity is a Biatch! I'm installing now...and I swore I was happy with Helix :D

10. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

Its different I will say that. Not bad, just different.the only complaint so far is that the two docktabs show no icon.

11. OMJ

There is an option you can make the icon show. Its Tint AB and its under UI Settings

12. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Do we just rename the file to update.zip and load it the same way we load kernels?

13. OMJ

if you are using SPRecovery then yes. If you are using clockworkmod recovery there is no reason to rename

SoDroid likes this.
  14. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Oh yea! I forgot we don't have to rename if using Clockwork, I've been using it for about a week, I love SP but I'm trying to get use to Clockwork since I hear so much about it.

Thanks.

15. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I can't seem to load this. I've been flashing new ROMs and kernels for the past week and a half since rooting and I've never had any issues. I downloaded the file (version 0.7Beta7), placed it on the root of my SD card, rebooted into recovery (using Clockwork), applied update from SD, chose the correct file and everything says it uploaded fine. But when i reboot and get back to my home screen I have no option to choose this as my home. Doesn't show up in Home Switcher either. What am I doing wrong?

FYI...I'm using NexBeast.

16. OMJ

Sounds like you are doing everything right. You could always open the zip and push the apk to /system/app or use root explorer to put it there

17. ska.t73

It will show up as Launcher in both homeswitcher and when you first press the home key without a default home app. It will not show up as ADW launcher...

18. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member

Its listed as Home on my home switcher. Running NB 1

You beat me to it Ska...

19. Rodeojones

Yep...It's not listed as ADW Launcher or even Launcher (for me at least). It just shows up as HOME. I figured that was the default home I was seeing. Thanks.

20. ska.t73

Ah that's it, I knew it was something that wasn't ADW... :)

21. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

Don't like the two small icons. I'll stick to Helix 1 for now, but I'm always happy when people make new stuff :)

22. Rodeojones

Yeah, I haven't had too much time to play around with it, but I'm not a fan of the two tiny icons. Why make them so small?

23. ska.t73

I think they are small like that to accomodate the dots on either side showing which screen you are on... I haven't tried it but you can turn the dots off in the settings, wonder if that will help...

24. UBRocked

Okay, this is is incredibly slick! Couple of notes that really make this perform well...

1) Make sure in your ADW settings under Drawer Settings that Animated drawer is NOT checked and that Fast Drawer IS checked. This looks better IMO but it also runs a lot faster.

2) Also under Drawer Settings --> If the horizontal app drawer tabs isn't your style (I didn't really like it), Uncheck the "New Drawer" option. The vertical app scrolling is the smoothest I have seen...very nice!

3) Disable screen rotation if this is not already being done by Spare Parts. It works but I got a few crashes when testing it out and switching quickly from one view to another.

Couple of other notes...You people that don't like having the notification bar showing on your home screen will be happy cause you can turn it off. I use it and don't know why you wouldn't...but the Dev thought of giving you the option...and options are good.

I turned off the dots to indicate what screen you are on...cause I know where I'm at without referencing dots. What is nice is the "Home Key Binding" under Preview settings. When you press your home screen, the Sense UI is replicated and you get a nice visual of all of your screens so you can quickly switch. Having said that, you really don't need it cause this transitions from screen to screen ALMOST as fast as the Incredible...anyone that has actually played with the incredible knows that the droid with stock launcher or any home replacement cannot match the smoothness of that. This is damn close!

Thanks for the post OMJ...I don't think most people would have found this cause it was originally developed for the G1 (or that's what it looks like).

One more thing...I'm running the Froyo Clone theme that was listed here in the main thread. [MOD]2010.05.04-ADW.Launcher, now with... a lot of things - xda-developers
    I like it better but it's pretty vanilla. I think that the G1 has many more themes than 2.1 devices do for this...I'm sure that will change though.

tstarky likes this.
  25. UBRocked

No...still small if you turn the dots off.