• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ADW Launcher

No...still small if you turn the dots off.

yea I tried it...

Also to add to your other post... If you are a fan of the 5 column app drawer that is on the CM Launcher, then you are in luck... Under settings you can select how many columns (up to 6!!!!) you have in the app drawer. You can also select the number of rows but this only seems to apply if you are using the new style app drawer (the one that scrolls left and right)... BTW you don't even have to be running a CM ROM to use this feature...

Really REALLY loving this one!!!

Upvote 0
Been using this for a few hours now. My experience so far...

This clearly, at least for me, has the fastest loading app drawer I've ever seen.

App drawer scrolling is generally very good, as good as some of the best I've seen w/Helix, but it does hiccup once in a while.

Screen-to-screen swiping, once you have loaded things up, still needs some work. (See below for my setup details). I'm running Cyanogen Mod with P3Droid 900Mhz kernel...

I have instances when I can't get home screens to swipe right/left, it's non-responsive, or it will hold for second and then jump suddenly to the next screen, jerky rather than smooth. This happens w/finger flicking, and using the navigation dots similar issues with them sometimes not responding, or having a delayed response and jerky transition to the next screen.

So a mixed bag for me right now - really like the fast opening drawer, scrolling is good, and up to six apps on secondary dock is cool. But I'd really like to have four apps on the primary dock, and most importantly the screen-to-screen scrolling problems are bugging me more and more...

Curious if anyone else w/similar home screen count/widget load is seeing similar issues...

I have five screens in my normal setup:

Left-to-right:

1. Pandora Widget
2. World Clock widget, YouTube widget, Astro & Root Explorer icons, MountUSB widget, TripIt icon
3. (main screen): Beautiful smaller home, Google news widget (news only); eight icons for various programs
4. Network widget, SetCPU widget, Beautiful Home BT widget, CalWidget 4x3
5. Facebook widget

Upvote 0
Wow, very smooth and fast! I like the secondary dock, though it is kinda strange to get to it and back to the regular app tray. Anyways, I've noticed a dearth of images in this thread, so here's the home screen, app tray, and Sense UI 'Leap' preview:

CAP2010051218101.jpg
CAP201005121810.jpg

CAP2010051218102.jpg

Froyo 2.2 Themed Launcher & 5 column tray

CAP201005121827.jpg
CAP2010051218271.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a theme set up, will this screw with it?

No...your theme will remain intact. Is appears to overwrite your default "Home" launcher though so back up before you flash it (no one uses "Home" anymore do they? lol).

For whatever reason, I cannot get the Sense UI Leap preview to show up.

Did you set this launcher as your default? There is a setting that ties the physical home button to the preview

AWDSettings > Previews Settings > "Home key binding" (make sure it's checked and AWD is set as your default homescreen)

So will any of the themes from XDA work with this launcher? Most of them say they are for 1.6.
[METAMORPH] [5/06/10] Themed ADW Launcher2 w/ working Nexus Preview & Scrolling Dots - xda-developers

I have the "Froyo" one running (it's in Fab's screenshots as well). It's located here in the first thread towards the bottom.

[MOD]2010.05.04-ADW.Launcher, now with... a lot of things - xda-developers

Interesting...I'll have to give this a try.

Look who's a mod now! Has the power changed you? :D

Did he pull it from Froyo? That looks like the new launcher in 2.2

Don't think so based on his thread at XDA...but who knows.

Upvote 0
Well I just did a fresh install of Nexbeast and used this launcher. It's incredible! Everything is so fast, and the scrolling between screens is as smooth as Sense UI! I love it! I don't know why it was running so terribly when I tried it earlier, but this is by far the best launcher yet.

Upvote 0
Well I just did a fresh install of Nexbeast and used this launcher. It's incredible! Everything is so fast, and the scrolling between screens is as smooth as Sense UI! I love it! I don't know why it was running so terribly when I tried it earlier, but this is by far the best launcher yet.

Frustrating...screen-to-screen is still very rough for me...everything else is excellent... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Fastest lag free screen scrolling that I have seen yet, but the app bar implementation is horrible. It is too hard to flick the app bar up and down. Need to be able to access the main app drawer by long pressing menu or back keys like dxtop. That way you can keep the app bar open all the time and not have to close it to get to app drawer. Another option would be to have an open/close button for the app drawer on the middle right side of the screen.

Upvote 0
Frustrating...screen-to-screen is still very rough for me...everything else is excellent... :thinking:

I think it is phone specific in this case. After I read your first post talking about this I tested the "finger flicking speed" and I soon thought I had a problem with it responding...but I was just already across all 5 pages in a quickness. My finger can barely keep up with the screen lol. I don't know what to tell you other than to try it on a new rom (or even load up an old Nandroid and give it a whirl).

Upvote 0
Fastest lag free screen scrolling that I have seen yet,but the app bar implementation is horrible. It is too hard to flick the task bar up and down. Need to be able to access app drawer by long pressing menu or back keys like extol. That way you can keep the app bar open all the time and not have to close it to get to apparently drawer. Another option would be to have an open/close button for the app drawer on the middle right side of the screen.

Opening the app bar is not an issue for me but closing it is. To open it, you can press and hold on the app launcher icon and then flick up. To close it, you have to find what is basically an invisible tab located above the app bar...kind of a pain but it's worth it. Hopefully it will be improved in future releases.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones