AEPT USB Power Cable queryTips

Last Updated: 2011-07-13 10:20:42
  1. eddiewawa

eddiewawa Well-Known Member

Holler all!

you know the usb power cable with the apple looking power pin for our AEPT dock/tablet? what kind of connector is it?

just want to buy a spare for work thats all :)

cheers!
    Eddie

Advertisement
  2. AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO Well-Known Member

Proprietary 40-pin connector. It might be a while before you can find them from anywhere else besides Asus.
    eddiewawa likes this.
  3. eddiewawa

Cheers dude, and bum fluff, was hoping it'd be a readily available thing...defo 1 thing I dont like about the AEPT....
  4. AutobahnSHO

I was worried about charging- the cable is WAAAY too short. I even tried using a USB Extension cord, but it doesn't show that it's charging.

With the keyboard I only charge at night. Never have needed to plug it in while using it throughout the day.
  5. AutobahnSHO

6. AutobahnSHO

LOL Typing in that part number into Google found plenty of other websites selling it. They all show it out of stock and price of $29 (or more).

So it shouldn't be long before we can get them...
  7. mihaelb

mihaelb Well-Known Member

it wasn't showing that it was charging probably because you have a USB 2.0/1.1 extension cable. you need a USB 3.0 extension cable for this to work.
  8. eddiewawa

OoooOoooooOOooooh.....hang on thought the docks we have are only usb2? not 3? or does the 3 allow sufficient power through for the charge?
  9. AutobahnSHO

That would mean the pinouts are different- are they?
  10. rogone

rogone Well-Known Member

You can buy a 3.0 usb extension for about $3. A lot cheaper than buying a dedeicated cable and you can buy it today. I have one and it works.
  11. eddiewawa

yerp, but besides the point of getting an extension lead for the usb cable, what "I" want is a spare cable to keep at work as backup. extension cables no use to me if i forget the darn thing lol
  12. Nitro Fan

Nitro Fan Member

Yes I want a spare as well I just know I will leave the original somewhere whilst out working and then I have a huge problem! so any advice on wher to find a spare will be great.
  13. AutobahnSHO

14. question729

question729 Well-Known Member

Wow, backordered already.
  15. NewYork2Cali

NewYork2Cali New Member

Absolutely on backorder... I love the device, it's odd that I have so may other power options with *every* other electronic unit I own. Backorder? Really? It's kind of like McDonald's running out of cheap hamburger wrapping paper. Dubba Tee Eff?

Here's an alternative for those that are frustrated -> Call ASUS directly 510-739-3777 and inquire. Yeah, I gave up my first born for that local #.

The wonderful representative will tell you that the item is on backorder and you *MAY* be able to order a new for for $39 at the following address: ASUS eStore

The unit is awesome with keyboard. I just need an extra 1 or 2 cords as they tend to grow feet over time :)

Good luck!
  16. AutobahnSHO

Honestly at night I just plug the dock into the power, put the tablet into the keyboard, and shut it down.

I know you're not supposed to do that for the greatest battery life but oh well..
  17. eddiewawa

wait, is there a best way of charging here? I always hammer the dock to 3%, then let my tablet run to around the 5% mark then charge both whilst docked. are you saying this is bad for the battery?
  18. AutobahnSHO

ASUS says you should charge them separately.

You have to remember the dock charges the Tablet, so it's kind of not good using it to charge the tablet while charging the dock...
  19. eddiewawa

ah thats true....hmmm....so charge each seperately huh.....SO!!!! we do need 2 seperate cables then huh? :D

interesting to see how we change the battery on our tablets....
  20. JimInWoodstock

JimInWoodstock New Member

The ASUS manual says that the tf will charge (slowly) if connected to a computer USB port. Is this also true if I plug the cable into a USB wall charger. I have one here that supplies 500ma for 4 USB ports and apparently can supply 2A to one port. I tried it and no charging indication on the tf.
    Also, assuming that if the tf can be slower charged when plugged into a regular USB port, how do you know it is being charged?
  21. AutobahnSHO

It's being charged when it shows the little lightning bolt in the battery. Plugging into a computer will charge but it won't push much power..
  22. rogone

rogone Well-Known Member

You have to use a usb 3 cable if you want to charge utilizing a usb cable.