Aesthetics: What does everyone think?

Last Updated:

1. nav525

nav525 Member

I really really want to like this phone, but the looks of the phone keep turning me off. I have no doubt that this thing will be a beast when it comes to performance, and while that's the most important thing, looks play a factor too. I want a phone that is nice to look at as well. I don't think it's completely ugly, but several of the design aspects are definitely questionable. For starters, I think the reflective area around the screen looks a little tacky. I also think the physical buttons on the bottom look a little tacky and out of place. Also, the front portion of the phone looks like its 3 different pieces instead of being unified. There's one small part that has the earpiece, then a large part that has the screen, and another part below the buttons. These divisions take away from the clean and sleek look that other phones have. The random red camera button is also a little weird. Finally, there's....The Hump. I would probably be willing to ignore everything else but that hump is just ugly. Like I said, I really want to like this phone so that I can enjoy that awesome screen and processor. What do you guys think?

2. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

My mistake, thought I was in a different forum!!
  3. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

I think it looks awesome. Perhaps the 2 things that bug me are the hump on the back and the glossy frame that runs around the screen.

I've heard the hump on the back lets your index finder rest when holding it with one hand which makes sense but it still bugs me looking at it. I like everything equal, balanced and uniform. :p

The glossy frame I will only find out if it will be annoying after I pick myself up one and get to use it.
  4. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

If you truly do not like the look of the phone then I would say wait and look at it in the store. Yes the phone is going to be super fast, but at the same time you need to like the looks of the phone. Judge for yourself in person and how you like the feel of the phone, then see if the specs out weigh the looks in your eyes.

No one is really going to be able to make this decision for you.

Good look!
  5. Wolfedude88

I was under the impression they are physical buttons.
  6. nav525

nav525 Member

They are physical buttons, not touch sensitive.
  7. nav525

nav525 Member

Thanks, I wasn't really asking anyone to make a decision for me..just wondering what other people thought. I realize I have to see it up close first.
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I don't care about the looks of any phone. Sure, I wouldn't get a pink phone, but if a phone is available in colors, black is usually one of them.
  9. mikeydooodie

mikeydooodie Well-Known Member

that hump annoys me but ill get a case and forget about it within a minutelol
  10. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

My mistake, wrong forum section :D
  11. Wolfedude88

It's cool, no biggie!
  12. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

The hump has me a bit concerned as well. What's in that thing, all the camera electronics?
  13. nav525

nav525 Member

Good question. I'd like to know that as well. It can't be there just to have somewhere to rest your finger right? I hope not lol.

I feel like these companies making android phones can learn something from the iphone 4. I'm not a fan of the iphone os but I can't deny that the new hardware is sexy. It's clean and simple. You can also tell that premium materials are being used. HTC could specifically learn from that. All that plastic is not fit for a high end smartphone.
  14. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I guess I'm used to having a relatively bar shaped phone, without any protrusions. Not quite sure how it will feel in my pocket.

"Is that a Droid X in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
  15. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

The hump is for the camera. If you look at the Incredible, the actual camera piece is huge. That's why they've had to make it stick out a bit.
  16. e5116

e5116 Well-Known Member

I'd give it a 7/10. I personally think HTC phones have more aesthetic appeal with sweet curves and a simple classic streamlined appearance. Motorola's phones seem more "boxy" and boring, bringing back memories of old phones. Having said that, it's fairly simple with the screen covering the majority of it so I don't think it's too bad. The Droid 2, on the other hand, looks terrible when the keyboard is pulled out, in my opinion. It looks like a translation dictionary from the 80s. Even if I wanted a hardware keyboard, I wouldn't get it. For the Droid X, I think it's a slight negative, but not a dealbreaker for me. Durability and build quality should be superb, which are probably more important.
  17. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I'll reserve my opinion on aesthetics until it is officially announced tomorrow.
  18. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

I don't think it looks too bad. I like the looks from the pics but Ill wait until I can actually see it in the stores.
  19. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

+1 on ugly physical buttons.
    I will get the phone but wished they were prettier but stil reserve my judgement until I get mine.
  20. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't these companies realize Apple makes great looking products that are well built? Why can no one come out with anything that's as aesthetically pleasing?
    OldSmoky likes this.
  21. I think the phone looks nice actually. It sets itself apart from the others with its looks
  22. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I went for looks over performance with the eris v droid. not a day went by that I didn't regret that descision.
  23. You always have to go for performance for the long run it will always be a smart decision. It may be a truly ugly phone but if it is a beast performance wise then that will save a lot of headaches in the end.
  24. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i intend to use this for my business. it looks industrial and excellent.
    not edible like the LG LePhone (the new iphone has NOTHING ON IT) but...i like the hump because its big! to rest my finger on it is perfect!
    its all screen...the buttons at the bottom are the only thing i dont like. wish they were capacitive. other than that 9/10.
  25. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

It has the stylings of a remote control from the 90s, as long as the screen looks good, the touchscreen works great and it's a great media device, I don't really care what the outside of it looks like.