After 2.1 OTA update, all HTC widgets are goneGeneral

Last Updated:

1. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I searched a bunch of threads and I can't seem to find the answer to this...

Just did the OTA on my sister's phone, and after restarting all of the HTC widgets (clock, weather, calendar, etc) are gone. They don't even show up in the list to add to the home screens.

I thought I read somewhere that there is a way to fix it quickly... clearing a cache, or re-syncing something, I dunno... I don't remember what thread it was in, or what it was exactly... searching has proven unsuccessful.

I really don't want to do the factory reset because of having to re-download all of the apps.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. sundoll

sundoll Member

The factory reset is the only way to fix it that I know of - the cache clearing option doesn't seem to be reliable. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle to re-download apps, so what I would suggest first is downloading a file explorer app like Astro or Estrongs that allow you to backup apps to your SD card (which won't get wiped during the reset). After the reset, you can download the file explorer app again and restore your apps - note that it will only link to the apps in the market, it doesn't backup a fully functional version of the app, but it can make the job easier.

3. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. I remember reading about app backups that reinstall them, but don't link them to the market (so they don't get updates). I'll grab Astro... is there an option for the method you suggested? Or something special I need to do? Downloading now, but it's taking forever (crappy signal here).

EDIT: Nevermind. I went through with the factory reset after doing the backup with ASTRO. After the restore, I got ASTRO again and went to the "backed up" app section... I think it just stored them all on the SD card. It will install them, but they don't show up in the Market... so I'm assuming they won't get the updates. I told her to just use the backup as a list, and just manually search for them in the market. Disappointing, but there is no other option...

4. biggieal3

biggieal3 New Member

I had that problem too, where the widgets weren't available to add to the home screen after the update. But later on in the day, i don't know why, they all of sudden showed up on the list to add to the home screen. so, maybe just wait it out?