After 2.2 leak, Camera Flash no longer works properlySupport

Last Updated:

1. dabomb224

dabomb224 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think everyone who upgraded should test this out right away. I was taking pictures last night with my flash, and I noticed that even though the LED comes on, it turns off again the instant before the shutter closes. This problem is reproducible 100% of the time, and happens whether the picture is taken with the shutter button or the new touch button.

This has basically rendered the flash useless. Has anyone else had this problem?

Advertisement
  2. Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero Well-Known Member

I noticed that the SwitchPro flashlight button no longer works. The LED won't turn on at all. Although I took a picture in the dark yesterday (with Flash ON, not Auto) and it worked pretty well (the picture was fully lit).

Edit: Nope, you're right. Flash doesn't work for shit anymore. Damn.

3. bosox2k1

bosox2k1 Well-Known Member

mine works.just tested in mirror at work and all I could see was the flash

4. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

My flash works, but flashes before the picture is taken. Ugh.

5. duffyanneal

duffyanneal Member

Mine appears to be working correctly with the stock app as well as Vignette.

6. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

Just checked mine and in Auto mode with the stock camera the LEDs light up, turn off and at the moment the shutter goes it turns on and lights the picture. So it is working just fine for me.

7. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

I just checked mine aganist a canon coolpix digi and the timing is very close, maybe they clocked the flash a little different to help with pics, honestly outdoor/nightime pics look much better, crisp, not like I'm in a cloud of smoke - just take the picture, if you like it who cares when the flash starts to fade. Is it truely effecting the picture qualitiy or is this just something you noticed looking on the oposite side of the phone?

8. Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero Well-Known Member

I don't really take that many pictures -- I was just surprised to see that my Flashlight widget no longer works. Then after I saw this thread, I tried taking a picture with Flash ON and the flash itself works, but the timing is off so it doesn't actually help the picture any...

9. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I just noticed that my zoom no longer works. The zoom slider appears and you still hear the same sound when you push the volume button but there is no zoom.

10. FoxtrotUniform

FoxtrotUniform Well-Known Member

Just tested mine. Flash and zoom work fine here. Confirmed LED Flashlight button in SwitchPro no longer works though. Bummer :\

11. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Works fine here. Also the led works fine using droidlight.

12. dabomb224

I thought I was pretty clear but apparently you're adverse to reading details. It is NOT a question of picture quality. What I am saying is that before the update the flash worked and now it doesn't function properly AT ALL. It will still turn on when the shutter button is depressed but when the shutter closes to take the picture the LED turns off (thus rendering it useless). I am aware that it is a matter of timing.Clearly the new software has botched this timing. What I am curious to know is if anyone has found a solution to this problem.

13. 4n4c0nd4

4n4c0nd4 Member

My flash works fine as well. The timing does seem to be a little different but I still think it takes decent pictures. I think what they did was advance the flash slightly so that by the time the picture is being taken the flash is going off, therefore rendering a better picture without an overbearing flash taking over the picture.

Also, to those with no flash...make sure you are NOT in macro mode, as the flash doesn't work in that setting.

14. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are doing it right? It looks like the flash comes on when you half depress the shutter, then goes off when it gets focus then comes on when you full depress to take the picture. If you just full press immediately maybe you get what you are reporting?

15. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

Yep, the LED will turn on if you half-press in low light. I'm assuming it uses the LED for focus-assist. Then, when you actually fully depress the button, the LED will turn on again to illuminate the scene.

My flash is working just fine. I just tested it in a fairly dark room and photos look just fine. However, if I interpret the OP correctly, he is saying the flash goes off but since it isn't timed right, the photo comes out dark and is not illuminated by the flash?

I'm also using Droidlight and it is working fine as well. I'm rooted with the 2.2 leak.

16. dabomb224

That is a correct interpretation.

Today I played around with it a bit more, and this time the flash seemed to work with better timing. It could be a bug of some kind, I'm not certain, but I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again.